Looks Religious to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Thanks Chad, definitely something to look at. I think it's OK. Yes, it has a religious content, but it's about someone playing music. We've had similar situations where someone made something out of wood with a religious content (e.g. crucifix), but the message was about woodworking, not religion. I say let it stand.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Thanks for flagging it. Tough call.

From the Site Policy:
Phrases such as, "God bless you", "Bless you", and "you are in our prayers" are more than acceptable. Such phrases are not proselytizing and are regarded as non-denominational. (Technically, even atheism is a belief system.) No one is criticized for saying they would or would not pray. Also, phrases used to greet and or wish well being during certain seasons or holidays such as "Merry Christmas" are allowed and even encouraged, regardless of the religious foundation.

I watched the video and tend to see it more in the "not proselytizing" category.

Jim

Glennbear

Glenn
I agree with not moderating the post, if the text accompanying the video was posted directly here at North Carolina Woodworker it would be a different story. The "outside" accomplishments of our membership are to be applauded whenever it does not violate site policy which seems to be the case here. On a personal note, I consider myself hyper-tolerant on religious issues, I am Roman Catholic like my Mom, my Dad was Methodist, one of my daughters is Wiccan, the other daughter was married in a poly/non denominational service, I lived in an Orthodox Jewish neighborhood for 22 years, and during my tenure with the NJ Dept. of Corrections I spent some time as de facto liason with the Islamic Imam at one facility. :wsmile:

Last edited:

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
*Sigh* :sad11: I do not know why people keep pushing the envelop. How many times can we tell them that we are a woodworking focus organization. There are 1000's of other places for people to post their other interests. I am not sure what is the right thing to do here. Yes, members should celebratetheir accomplishments, but it makes our jobs harder. Does this add anything to our site?

BTW: hook bought a tool from me a couple of years ago and when he left he handed me a $1,000,000 bill. When I looked at it it was a religous document promoting Jesus. We had never tlaked religon and handing it to me was wrong. I know he did the same to another member when buying wood.

With that prior activity of prostilatizing in mind, do we let it stand? I do not know what is best here.

Doug

M

McRabbet

Doug,

I would recommend you start a thread reminding members that while it is the Holiday season for many folks of different religions, we ask our members to stay on topic with posts about woodworking. While this video is not proselytizing, it believe was taped at a religious gathering. JMTCW.

Glennbear

Glenn
I stand by my original post in this thread, although I agree with Doug that sometimes our job is difficult. Yes, our focus is on woodworking but off topic posts have run the gamut in "off-topic" accomplishments including Doug's triathletics, Alan's senior swimming medals, etc. so the precedent has been set. In this case the accomplishment was musical but showcased at a church. We have had members show pictures of projects completed and installed at various worship centers without negative reaction. :wsmile:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Thanks for that Doug.

Its also good to know some history, so we know to keep an extra eye out.

Jim

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
This is in the gray area but I believe it has not crossed the line. IT IS A TOUGH CALL. I look at it as a member of NCWW playing in a band. While it is a Christmas music I think it is one of the more general songs. My take is to let it stand unless a member complains to the BoD of one of the moderators.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Nice job on the other thread Doug. I figured there would be the usual negative posts in response to it. The majority of the members will read the thread for what it is and abide by it.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Nice job on the other thread Doug. I figured there would be the usual negative posts in response to it. The majority of the members will read the thread for what it is and abide by it.

I appreciate the support Tracy but it is looking like that thread was a mistake. :no:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I appreciate the support Tracy but it is looking like that thread was a mistake. :no:

It is really getting out of hand. I don't want to shut a thread down that you started Doug. And really not sure what type of statement we could put there to calm it down.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I will wait until tomorrow to respond. Feel free to respond if you want. Glenn did a good job here. I find it hard to believe they do not get it. This issue is not new. All we are trying to say is this is not the place for this. But they do not seem to care and have their posts seem to say we don't care, and we do not care about the policies that we agreed to.

Finally, they do not care about the work that they create for us to moderate this stuff.

I will tell you all that while I had told the BoD that I would not run again, I was contemplating running for another term on the BoD. This sort of thing moves me back to stepping down. Sorry for the rant, but this stuff depresses me.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
As for the original thread, I don't see that having a link to a video where a member played in a band is inappropriate. This is a woodworking site, but it is where friends get together, and it is something he is proud of that he has done. Still, I can see it either way, hence why I myself have said nothing about it.

I am preferential to Festivus.

Last edited:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
It is really getting out of hand. I don't want to shut a thread down that you started Doug. And really not sure what type of statement we could put there to calm it down.

I just made a post on the other thread that I "hope" will calm down the delinquents.... We'll see...

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I will wait until tomorrow to respond. Feel free to respond if you want. Glenn did a good job here. I find it hard to believe they do not get it. This issue is not new. All we are trying to say is this is not the place for this. But they do not seem to care and have their posts seem to say we don't care, and we do not care about the policies that we agreed to.

Finally, they do not care about the work that they create for us to moderate this stuff.

I will tell you all that while I had told the BoD that I would not run again, I was contemplating running for another term on the BoD. This sort of thing moves me back to stepping down. Sorry for the rant, but this stuff depresses me.
Doug, my sympathies. I think your post was great. Your only mistake was not to immediately close the thread. You made an announcement, it wasn't supposed to become a discussion.

I suggest you delete all replies to your post and close the thread. Over and done.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Unfortunately my comments did not work.

Let's lock the thread. I don't think that I'd delete it - just lock out future posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS