Leigh jig problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
My first DTs with my new Super jig. It looks like the pin guide slipped while I cut the first one. Anyone have a similar problem with a Leigh jig? The instructions warn against over tightening,but nothing about under tightening! Seriously, the pin guide was tight on the bar.

0021.JPG

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Not sure what you mean Travis, but the pic shows a gap at a pin on each side (may have to look real close) which makes me think that the tails cut OK, but the finger moved for the pin cut.

DavidF

New User
David
How about your template guide? Was it properly centered?

I was about to say the same thing, I had a similar problem. Check that the hole in the router base is concentric to the router bit. The dewalt comes with a centering cone to do this.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I was about to say the same thing, I had a similar problem. Check that the hole in the router base is concentric to the router bit. The dewalt comes with a centering cone to do this.

David's got it. At least with my Leigh, you have to use template guide bushings. If the bushing isn't centered and you rotated the router say on the one with the gap, it could have caused the gap. Plus, if the finger moved it would have made one too tight and the other loose, so doesn't seem like the fingers moving to me. JMTCW.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
OK, yes this one uses a bushing. Either a PC or Leigh's E-bush. I used theirs, didn't rotate the base and the bit was centered. I pushed on the pins this PM and the one in question felt loose, as on a pivot. I loosened, slid it around, re-tightened, and it locked hard. Metal shaving, quark? I don't know. Ship it, Dano!

BobN

New User
Bob
I have had this same problem. With me it was the router bit not being centered in the guide bushing. About 18 months ago or so one of the other wood working forums had a discussion on this problem. It seem that it was very common problem for people using Porter Cable routers or other brands that clamped the motor to the base in the same manner. They recommended getting a Milwaukee router to used with the Leigh jig. Well I finally added a Milwaukee 5615-20 to my router collection and I no longer have the centering problem when using the Leigh jig.

Bob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I've noticed that occasionally with my Leigh D1600 that I have to slightly lift up on the guide fingers to get them to tighten down correctly and be coplaner with all the others. If everybody else's suggestions are ruled out that might could be your problem :dontknow:

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS