Junk or Gem - Stanley #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I bought a Stanley #3 at my usual junk store yesterday along with a 1930s Boy Scout Handbook (we collect Scouting handbooks, the old ones are full of great information and no PC b/s) and another auto-spool sewing awl (can't think of the name). Anyway all of that was around $20 and change.

So, this is my first #3 and I was wondering how far I should go in refurbing it. I found one for sale with the black handles for $55 and if that is about right for this model then i did pretty good. It has no cracks nor chips, looks like all original parts. I know it's not very old, but it looks like it will clean up pretty well and make a good user. What do you think?

IMG_05152.JPG

IMG_05141.JPG

IMG_0516.JPG

M

McRabbet

Mike,

Looks like a good user, for sure and the price was certainly right! It should clean up fairly easily, though you didn't show the sole. I agree that it is not real old -- I'm guessing a Type 16, but go here if you want to determine exactly how old it is.

We'll look forward to seeing it all prissied up!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Looks like the black painted tote and knob and diagonal knurling on the depth adjustment knob makes it a type 18. Dated 1946 - 1947

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Here it is cleaned up and sharpened.

IMG_05173.JPG

A bit of a double gloat I guess. That board is part of the 180 board feet of 8/4 Sapele I got from Brian.

Here is the bottom shot for McRabbet.

IMG_0518.JPG

I used 320 grit Wet & Dry to clean off the rust. Everything was flat enough. It could be polished and buffed, but it will be a user so I didn't waste the time. What can one expect for $12 and a couple hours fun in the shop?

M

McRabbet

Nice shavings, nice plane and a nice double gloat, my friend! It sure cleaned up sweet and needless to say, you gotta good deal! Whatcha gonna make with all that beautiful Sapele?

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Mike I dont want you to worry bout this old plain you just send it to me and Ill start my collection with it.HAHAHA
THanks Mark\:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Sorry MArk,

It's already cleaned, sharpened, tested, oiled and neatly tucked away in my Kennedy tool chest.

I have a couple extra duplicates of common sizes if you want to come get them...

BBQ next weekend...

Might have some extra wood lying around...

:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
BBQ what is this you speak of? Now I might not drive that far for a tool but as a fat man Iyou have me interested!!!:gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La; See I dont visit the site fora couple of days now theres a BBQ thats what I get I guess. Send me the details and if the boss will let me take a day off from the house rework I just might show up.

Thanks Mark

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
SCORE!

One other lesser know details, #3's are harder to come by than many other models.

Jim

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I was wrong on the Boy Scout Handbook. It turns out to be a rare 1945 wartime edition with narrow margins and smaller type to conserve paper for the war effort.

Why don't we hear of any such conservation efforts these days? :icon_scra

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Mike,
Looks like you made a wartime find there. Congrats on the book and the#3. The #3 is a nice one and will make a great user. It is indeed a type 18 as you noted with the painted hardwood and diagonal knurling. Many of the type 18's still had the heavier castings of the wartime type 17's. It must have taken a while to re-establish the tropical wood market with South America after WW II. My theory is that it stopped during the war because of the U-boats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS