Jointing Small/Thin Pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannah01

New User
Joe
Hey guys, I'm looking for some ideas on ways to square up some turning blanks I have to use for inlays or decorative banding. They are approximately 1/2" to 3/4" square and measure between 9" and 12". The problem is that none of them have a square/flat edge. They aren't really warped or bowed, but they aren't straight either.

I was thinking of attaching several of them side to side and end to end with double-sided tape to a longer, wider piece of 3/4" plywood and running them over the jointer to at least square up one side. I thought that a few shallow passes would probably work, but I am concerned over the safety factor. Is the tape strong enough? Should I try gluing them?

Anyone with any experience on jointing/planing small pieces? I don't have a planer or drum sander. I have considered a belt sander or ROS to sand them flush, but this would be time consuming at best. Hand tooling is another option I've read, but I have neither the skills nor the tools to do so.

Thanks!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
hannah01 said:
Hey guys, I'm looking for some ideas on ways to square up some turning blanks I have to use for inlays or decorative banding. They are approximately 1/2" to 3/4" square and measure between 9" and 12". The problem is that none of them have a square/flat edge. They aren't really warped or bowed, but they aren't straight either.

I was thinking of attaching several of them side to side and end to end with double-sided tape to a longer, wider piece of 3/4" plywood and running them over the jointer to at least square up one side. I thought that a few shallow passes would probably work, but I am concerned over the safety factor. Is the tape strong enough? Should I try gluing them?

Anyone with any experience on jointing/planing small pieces? I don't have a planer or drum sander. I have considered a belt sander or ROS to sand them flush, but this would be time consuming at best. Hand tooling is another option I've read, but I have neither the skills nor the tools to do so.

Thanks!

I think that your idea of attaching them to another piece of wood is a good one, but I would consider using a hot melt glue and be VERY VERY VERY careful!!!!!
Personally I would go at them with a hand plane. Stock that small would be very easy to get a flat face on. you can get a user Stanley #4 at Lowes for $20-30 if you want to give hand planing a try.

My .02, Dave

Monty

New User
Monty
I was looking forward to seeing some of the replies to this. Basically I couldn't think of a single way that I would feel comfortable putting piece of wood that short & narrow on a jointer. Hot glue or carpet tape might do the trick, but I personally wouldn't want to be standing nearby if it fails! To me, this sounds like the PERFECT opportunity to get started in hand tools!!! :icon_thum Gang them together, and plane away at your leisure... nice, slow, quiet, safe... have a cigar while you're at it!

hannah01

New User
Joe
Thanks for the ideas everyone. I'm still mulling over the options. Like Insom said, running pieces that small over a jointer sounds risky at best.

I guess it is time to learn how to use a hand plane. ;-)

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I am a big fan of hand planes, and if you go that route, ensure you plane with the grain. Against it may cause tearout, depending on the wood. Wherever you acquire one (new or used), you will probably have to sharpen the iron before it is usable.
However, if you have a belt sander, I would mount it upside down in a vise and plop them down on it to get a flat edge. Then I would square them up on the TS.
Just my $.02:lol:

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
If you must use a power tool, I would opt for a drum sander, small pieces like this go through my performax well. If you are in the West, you are welcome to run them through mine. If not, maybe someone else nearby has one. The hand plane is another great option and definitely a safer bet than the jointer.

grumpy

New User
Harry Goodwin
I agree with those that fear small pieces on power tools of any kind. I'd use a chute plane for the first cut and then a square jig on a piece of plywood with guide slide in my sander for the next cuts. Harry

hannah01

New User
Joe
Yeah, I thought of using the belt sander, too. Thanks for the offer of the drum sander use, Steve. That is very generous of you, :eusa_clap but I think we are a substantial distance apart.

Anyway, there are always "work arounds" aren't there... :-D

hannah01

New User
Joe
Re: Jointing Small/Thin Pieces UPDATE

I jointed the turning blanks last night. It went flawlessly and worked better than I expected. Here is how I did it:

1) Using double-sided duct tape, I taped four turning blanks to the face of a 3/4" plywood strip about 3"x24". The blanks were attached in twos, side by side and end to end in a staggered pattern so that there would not be a straight "seam" parallel to the jointer knives that might catch and cause kickback.

2) I then clamped the blanks to the plywood overnight as an extra precaution to make sure they were stuck well to the tape. This worked well because I really had to pry them off the tape afterwards.

3) Set the jointer to make a very shallow cut (@1/32")

4) Made two passes over the jointer using push blocks carefully placing my hands/blocks so as to keep them as far from the blades as possible.

The blanks now have one face that is smooth and flat as glass. :eusa_danc

All in all, while jointing these I never felt like the blades were catching the wood excessively or that the cut was not in complete control. I would say this is a reasonably safe method as long as extra precautions are taken and special attention is paid to the procedure.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS