I wan to refinish my Walnut butcher block

Mburke

New User
Mburke
Any tips on how to sand this counter down & properly seal it? There is a lot of food prep going on - food from the refrigerator and also have a cooktop to contend with.

Once I sand it, I don’t want to stain it because I don’t want to make it darker. Just wan to put a good finish on it. I believe it is walnut.

Attachments

• IMG_1263.jpeg
    IMG_1263.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1264.jpeg
    IMG_1264.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1265.jpeg
    IMG_1265.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 66

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
First of all, the countertop is not what you do your vast majority of food prep on. You should have cutting boards and trivets and such on top the countertop if you would like your newly refinished butcher block countertop to last any time at all. Some foods have acids and some have base properties and they will tear up your finish quite quickly if not protected by another surface that takes the hit. Not to mention cutting marks and heat marks.

I've found the best finish for most butcherblock countertops to be Waterlox original. It needs to be properly applied in the correct order of the correct amout of coats. Sand the wood down well with an ROS before and apply Waterlox as directed on the can and it should last you for quite a few years.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Wood and liquids don't mix very well so sealing is very important around the the stove top especially the inside edges next to it. I agree that the counter top should not be used for food prep if you want it to look nice.

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
First of all, the countertop is not what you do your vast majority of food prep on. You should have cutting boards and trivets and such on top the countertop if you would like your newly refinished butcher block countertop to last any time at all. Some foods have acids and some have base properties and they will tear up your finish quite quickly if not protected by another surface that takes the hit. Not to mention cutting marks and heat marks.

I've found the best finish for most butcherblock countertops to be Waterlox original. It needs to be properly applied in the correct order of the correct amout of coats. Sand the wood down well with an ROS before and apply Waterlox as directed on the can and it should last you for quite a few years.
I agree. Ours have a Waterlox finish and have lasted 10+ years already

Mburke

New User
Mburke

Thanks for the response. I agree, and use I cutting boards, etc all the time. Just looking to find the right kind of application to finish it once I’ve sanded, and avoid applying something that would make the wood darker.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have Waterlox on a couple of my counters, love the finish......... however, foods that are used also as dyes or people dying their hair (rinsing out) in the sink can stain the Waterlox..... damhikt.......

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS