I visited 2 fellow WWer's Shops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
I spent the last several days in the Washington/Chocowinity, NC area. While there I visited Alan in Little Washington and got a tour of his shop. This was my second visit, the first time being 2+ yrs ago. Alan had just begun the cabinets he made for his shop the first time I was there. I saw the completed project on this visit. I would never call these "shop" cabinets. There are fine furniture quality. He posted pics of them in the past so many might agree with me. I know several have also visited Alan and would probably agree with me when I say he has a shop that can only be decribed as the ultimate dream shop. Alan is quite an innovator and some of the devices he designed that he uses with his tools are really unique. He and his wife are very gracious and I appreciated the tour. If you ever get down that way, by all means, give him a call.

Ernie Miller (enm) lives in Chocowinity. Alan made him aware of this site and he recently joined the forum. Ernie makes harpsichords and you have to see them to believe them. It is a mind-boggling experience to look at his work. The detail that is in them is incredible. He and his wife, Sandy, gave me a tour of his shop and also the parts of their home that showcase some of the harpsichords and music boxes he has built. Sandy also played me a selection on the white one pictured below. She also did the artwork on that one. They are two very talented people who are also very warm and gracious hosts. I really enjoyed meeting them and I will say again what I said about Alan....if you are in the area try to arrange a visit. You will meet 4 very nice people and see some fantastic work at both shops.

I will post these pics but suggest you check out Ernie's gallery. I really wish I had my camera at Alan's but forgot to take it with me.

Ernie's latest creation
harpsi.jpg

His personal harpsichord that is in his home
harpsi2.jpg

Ernie (in white shirt) and I

csnenm.jpg

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I have looked through his gallery and it is amazing. I envy you for getting the chance to visit in person.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Last Saturday Sandy and I had the pleasure of a visit to our shop and home by Stuart Nelson (Tar Heel). What a terrific way to spend a beautiful Saturday afternoon...... talking harpsichords, woodworking, and life in general. Thank you, Stuart, for such an enjoyable visit. I hope the next time you're in our area you and your wife will be able to visit us again. And thanks to NCWW for making it possible for me to have met such a gracious new friend. Stuart and Alan (Alan in Little Washington) are the first to visit since I joined the group 3 weeks ago. They have confirmed what I already suspected - the membership of NCWW is indeed special.

Ernie :wsmile:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am very jealous. That must have been a wonderful experience. I know when I have meet other members of this site it's been great but you had the chance to vist two of the finest craftsman (and women) that this site has to offer.

Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Stuart, thanks for the writeup and pictures. I think I'm going to play the lottery, win, retire, and make a trek around NC to see all the shops :)

Ernie - awesome, awesome work. I'd be impressed even if it didn't make music!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS