I received a free vintage Radial Arm Saw!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlcannon

New User
Mike Cannon
I just wanted to post an e-mail and tell about my recent good fortune. Yesterday my wife called me and asked "do you have any need for a radial arm saw?" I immediately said "of course I do!!" Someone where she works wanted to give away a saw that had been unused for 10 years and was just sitting in their garage if I would come and get it.

Well, I did! It is old but in excellent shape. It is probably a 1958 or 1959 model Super 900 Delta/Rockwell Radial Arm Saw. The motor runs great and everything works well.

Today I put a new table on it, replaced the blade and the dry rotted wiring. If anyone knows about these saws or has any comments I would appreciate them.

Thanks,

Mike

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I don't know much about that particular vintage D-R RAS, but you might look here for info www.owwm.com
Kindly, let me be the first to let you know, with most respect
YOU SUCK enjoy your new saw and be safe with it, they like to lunging at you a bit8-O

Dave:)

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Congrad on your new "old" saw. I love the old "American" made tools. You could go to owwm.com and see if they have a manual you could down load for it. Radial arm saws have a reputation for being dangerous, but used properly I find mine very useful. You can use a dado blade on a radial arm saw, but you cannot on the newer style sliders. The can be tricky to keep square so a manual if you can find one will be helpful.

mlcannon

New User
Mike Cannon
Dave,

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the site. I still can't believe I got so lucky!!

Mike:-o

mlcannon

New User
Mike Cannon
Thanks for the info. I will check out the site and learn a little more about it. I did some cutting with it today and I saw that it can be a little dangerous!!

Take care,

Mike:-D

Monty

New User
Monty
Great score! Good to see it going to a happy home. What kind of problem did you have using it? I don't use a RAS, but I understand it can take a little getting used to if you're used to using a miter saw.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Congrats, Mike!!!:eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

Enjoy... and please be safe!!!

Wayne

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Sorry, but all the you sucks are premature until pictures are provided as proof.:lol:

I am not familiar with the model number, but I believe I have the same saw. Is it the over arm turret 10" saw? If so, that is what I have. I have the manuals and a very old copy of getting to know your radial arm saw that goes with it

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Does it look like this???

3825-A.jpg

or this

3619-A.jpg

or this :lol: :lol: :lol: ????

4358-B.jpg

pics from www.owwm.com :cool:

Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Hey -- are we even sure that Mike really has this vintage RAS? As Travis said in his posts, SUCKs are premature unless we see proof in the form of pics -- "no pics, it didn't happen!". Come on, Mike -- fess up and post those pics for proof-positive!

Rob

mlcannon

New User
Mike Cannon
Hi everyone,
Sorry to be so long replying, but I have been out of town for a few days and didn't have e-mail.

All of the YOU SUCK's are truely warranted because I have just taken pictures and posted them in my album (mlcannon's album)!!!!

Click for a bigger view!

I have done a little "fix up" work on it like adding new electrical wiring since the original was dry rotted, adding a new top and blade, and giving it a good cleanup.

Take care,

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jeff...

Man I love old tools, looks like you got yourself one solid piece of American Iron there, not like the import s*** we see today.

well deserved tool Gloat forsure :cool:

mlcannon

New User
Mike Cannon
Jeff,

Thanks. It is a solid built piece of equipment......very heavy and the motor runs great. Hopefully it will do a good job.

Mike:)

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Pics have been posted...I guess a hearty "YOU SUCK" is in order.

I'd be interested to hear what you think about the new toy. I don't have a RAS (nor the space to house one!) but would probably be in your shoes if LOML called me with such a question. :lol: :lol:

Chuck

mlcannon

New User
Mike Cannon
Chuck,

I have not used it much yet, but I believe I will like it. It is different from what I am used to with a table saw or a miter saw, so it is going to take a little getting used to. It seems like there is a lot of adjustment to be done with one of these before the cut, but I think once I am better familiar with it's use that I will be able to do a lot with it.

Mike:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
A well-deserved YOU SUCK :eusa_clap

If you have the space, a RAS can very useful. But please, never turn the head and attempt to rip wood. The blade tips are facing up and it's scary to behold 8-O

Sapwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS