I blame Phil S for this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I mentioned in his thread about the very nice goblets he turned that I have been ignoring a little stash of wood under mine to try to keep from getting sucked into that time eating machine. :)

After admiring his handiwork, the next time I passed my lathe, I glanced down at my stash of catalpa:

HPIM0993.jpg

and it spoke to me; not in some deep spiritual way, more like a crack dealer - "C'mon, just one bowl - you know you can quit anytime you want..." :rolf:

The next thing I know, a little crotch is cut and mounted. A small bowl begans to take form:

HPIM0994.jpg

I don't really turn bowls, so I really don't have the optimum gear for it. I drilled a shallow 3/4" hole in the bottom and used my tiny chuck inside it as well as the live center to keep it steady. I am leaving a column as I hollow and the very last thing I will do is thin it near the bottom of the bowl so I can snap it off and clean up with a goose neck scraper.

Anyway, I have some questions. It's a small turning, only about 3.5" in diameter and 2" tall. The grain is amazing. I don't think these pictures do it justice:

HPIM1000.jpg

HPIM1001.jpg

As you can see, the piths are in it, but it is dry, so i am not worried about cracking. One has a hole though. Q1 - Leave it or fill it?
It isn't final form, but I did sand some at this stage because I have some end grain that is rough. It is still rough. Partly it is because this catalpa is so soft. Q2 - suggestions on handling that?
My tools are very limited - a big skew and a little Sorby spindle master. I used the Sorby most. Inside I have also been scraping with a single bevel 1/4" straight chisel that I sharpened with a low angle and it is very sharp. That is working pretty good for removal but the surface left behind could be better. I have some lousy carving tools that have decent carbon steel in 1/4" square shafts that I could grind to a suitable profile. Q3 - What tool would you use, given my selection?
Q4 - What speed would you use? I have been in the 700-100 range. I can't go much slower on a blank this light.

Thanks! Especially to Phil S, despite the title, for giving me a little inspiration...

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
OK SUCKER,you been sucked in :gar-Bi now go out an get you a Doug Thompson 1/2" bowl gouge an your ready to go :icon_cheers If you decide to look into one,Doug will help you get the best one for you.Great guy.NOW back to the bowl,looks like it has some beautifull grain pattern to it.I'm not sure about this wood,but some real dry woods,you can soak em in water and liquid soap an that helps give you a smoother cut.Do make sure your tools are sharp an DON'T forget to where a full face shield.That piece seems to have some cracks in it an I don't want to read about you gettin klunked in the ole noggin.I don't know your turning experiance,so forgive me if I offer what may seem like dumb advice.Here is a little tip that I use on woods with a lot of voids.I will completly turn the outside,waxed an all,then I will wrap it in that clear wraping tape.Then I will do the inside.The tape can help keep it from blowing apart.As for speed,700 rpms is a good speed.Hope I didn't bore you here,just tryin to help.Please keep us updated.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Funny how the camera reveals things I should have seen better, but also makes some things look misleading. There really isn't cracking. There is some catching of the open hole, which makes me think maybe I should go ahead and fill it, and there is some poor transition handling on my part when the grain chainges direction. It seems like holding the tool one way smooths the downhill grain better and another the uphill. Obvioulsy you can't change it as it spins fast enough - it's a crotch so there are 3 changes per revolution.

I have an opportunity to get a better tool in the not too distant future, but I am going to finish this one with what I have. I will take a stab at grinding one of my awful chisels into a little gouge also. I bought one of those cheap sets of imported carving tools once and got a few usable (once sharpened properly) gouges and chisels out of the set, plus a few that baffle me as to what their purpose was supposed to be. 1/4" square shafts with very slight bevels. I think they are steel stock with pre-attached handles...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS