How do I make this cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Last night I milled some walnut and glued up to make a 4x4x43 inch post for a floor lamp. Today I marked the tapers, cut on the BS and cleaned up with the jointer. Looked perfect until I stood the post on end and realized I DumbA'd out and forgot to cut the ends square after the glue-up and before the taper.:eusa_doh:

I took a bevel and recorded the angle of the"good" sides and transferred to the base. Any recommendations on how to cut the bottom and top square? I need to remove on the order of 1/32nd or so on one edge and flush on the other.

I thought about shimming one edge to get the bottom at 90 degrees and shaving with the CMS along my line but I am not sure if that is doable without the post moving. Wanted to ask here before it becomes a 40 inch post after successive mis-cuts!

BTW the new BS did a superb job on the taper! I can see that saw becoming a good friend. I use it for a lot of tasks that used to go to the TS.

Chuck

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
chuck, if i had a long table for the miter saw, i'd do just what you suggested. shim up the tapered end, clamp securely and cut.

phil

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well scribed line, good sharp handsaw, vice and a steady hand. Or shim with your offcuts, clamp well, and CMS it.
Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have to go with Philip's suggestion as I am not that good with a handsaw that I could do DaveO's suggestion.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
DaveO said:
Well scribed line, good sharp handsaw, vice and a steady hand. Or shim with your offcuts, clamp well, and CMS it.
Dave:)

Steady hand??? I don't normally drink before I work in the shop!:lol: :lol:

Seriously, free-hand cut is a recipe for disaster for me.

Chuck

hpetty

New User
Hugh
Sometimes 3 dimensions and angles get me confused but couldn't you use a try square to determine the angle of your taper and then set your miter saw "tilt" to coincide? That way you would avoid trying to figure out how to shim accurately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS