Harbor Freight online

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnherzig

New User
John
I'll have to say I really love Harbor Freight Tools. My only problem is that they don't have enough locations here on the east coast. If you need a cheap tool that for the most part lasts a long time (I've had a few bombs :) ) this is the place. Also their online ordering is awesome as well. I received my last order quick and in perfect shape. Also to sign up for their free coupons by email is so worth it, just dont give them your home address or you'll have enough ads to make a bonfire by the end of the month. Enjoy!

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Talk about your polarizing issue...

I buy a lot there, some good, some bad. The last time I was in there, I got one of the folding carbide saws for $3 on closeout, a marking gauge for $0.86 and a 1/2" drill chuck on an MT2 spindle for $10. Hand tools are a good deal there, IMO as are hard parts for machines. To me, the danger zones are the corded blue tools around $20 (very risky buys) and the orange ones under $50 (less risky, but still rolling the dice) and the stationary green ones under $200. The orange ones over $50 and the stationary green ones over $200 are generally decent tools and you will find pros in there buying them. That is obviously a major generalization with rough ranges, but I think you probably get the point.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Polar is correct. I couldn't have more of an opposite reaction. Everything I ever bought there ended up in the trash. I quit wasting my money there because I am cheap, and buying the same tool over and over ain't cheap.

Sorry to disagree, but that is my experience.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I love the HF stores. To me its just like toys r us for bigger kids. Any problems have allways been fixed promptly.

Thanks MArk

Glennbear

Glenn
I agree they could use some more outlets, for me it is either a 75 mile ride to Raleigh or 80 miles to Durham. I agree with Andy that you have to be selective in your purchases but bargains can be found. I have some HF hand and corded tools which have served me well but there have been times I was too cheap for my own good. The HVLP spray gun which was absolutely useless comes to mind. :BangHead: On the other hand I own one of the famous HF lathes I bought lightly used from another NCWW member and I believe it is a great machine as is their Bosch Colt knockoff. :wsmile:

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Polar is correct. I couldn't have more of an opposite reaction. Everything I ever bought there ended up in the trash. I quit wasting my money there because I am cheap, and buying the same tool over and over ain't cheap.

Sorry to disagree, but that is my experience.

That has been my experience time and again.

CarvedTones

Andy
Mike and Kyle, I will throw out a real live example of what I think they are good for. I will likely drop by there tomorrow for one of these, on sale for $39:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=46407

It's 16 gauge steel; some of the ones costing 2 or 3 times the price are 14 gauge (14 gauge is probably fine; just pointing out that it isn't flimsy). The lathe that will go on top did not come from there; that's an example of something I would likely not ever get there.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
isn't 16 ga thinner than 14 ga?

Had to look it up

Sheet steel

14ga = .0747 lb./sq ft =3.047
16ga = .0598 lb./sq ft =2.440

CarvedTones

Andy
:rotflm:It's a good thing I can laugh at myself. :rotflm:

OK, just the same, I cannot find another lathe stand at near the price and the discrepency with some of the more expensive ones (some of the others are 16 gauge also, BTW, but some are 14 which I though was thinner) isn't a deal breaker.

CarvedTones

Andy
Well, I did get it and I also got 2 of the shelves DIYGUY was giving away. They just had to be shortened and one fit perfectly as the lower shelf and the other I put on top of the stand as a work surface and chip/catcher. I am headed out of town for the weekend; will have to get a minor gloat shot early next week. I think this is an example of one of their good values.

rick7938

New User
Rick
While I love the feel of the best quality tools, I buy HF when the tool is going to be a once-a year project. As an example, the1/2-inch hammer drill that I just bought was used to drill 25-30 holes in masonary and will probably not be used again for a year or more. It worked great and even if it never works again, I got my money's worth.

CarvedTones

Andy
Getting a reply on this reminds me I owe a picture to this thread:

lathe-drill.JPG

The frame of the stand is all that came from HF, but an example of what to buy (IMO)/ If it has any moving parts, that would be my fault. :rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS