Hand holding on gluing this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddler

New User
Todd
couldn't find a thin piece of hard maple to use as a center strip that was long enough, so today I'll go to HomeDepot and get a board to plane down to 1/8" . I hope they have some reasonable Maple boards.

I'll also see if they have any Dap Resorcinol Weldwood to laminate the boards.

You can laugh, but only now realized that the curry powder red boards are the Padouk and the grey brown rock hard ones are the Bubinga.

Since the Bubinga boards are a touch over 3/8" and the Padouk are just over 5/8", I think I'm going to laminate them with the Padouk on the outside. So P-B-maple strip-B-P. The Bubinga will then be at the thicker (front to back thickness) center of the guitar neck and the thinner edges will be Padouk. That seems like it might be stronger and would mean less hand shaping of the Bubinga which saws like I'm cutting a rock.

Once I have this glued up, I'll post a picture. Any last minute tips? So far I'm at :

Sand to 120 grit.
Wash with acetone to remove some oil.
Let dry completely.
Coat both sides with glue.
Clamp moderately tight (with lots of clamps).
Pray for 24 hours.
Remove clamps and do it again until all 5 boards are glued together.

First time I'm trying this, so I'm nervous :)

Todd

DavidF

New User
David
couldn't find a thin piece of hard maple to use as a center strip that was long enough, so today I'll go to HomeDepot and get a board to plane down to 1/8" . I hope they have some reasonable Maple boards.

I'll also see if they have any Dap Resorcinol Weldwood to laminate the boards.

You can laugh, but only now realized that the curry powder red boards are the Padouk and the grey brown rock hard ones are the Bubinga.

Since the Bubinga boards are a touch over 3/8" and the Padouk are just over 5/8", I think I'm going to laminate them with the Padouk on the outside. So P-B-maple strip-B-P. The Bubinga will then be at the thicker (front to back thickness) center of the guitar neck and the thinner edges will be Padouk. That seems like it might be stronger and would mean less hand shaping of the Bubinga which saws like I'm cutting a rock.

Once I have this glued up, I'll post a picture. Any last minute tips? So far I'm at :

Sand to 120 grit.
Wash with acetone to remove some oil.
Let dry completely.
Coat both sides with glue.
Clamp moderately tight (with lots of clamps).
Pray for 24 hours.
Remove clamps and do it again until all 5 boards are glued together.

First time I'm trying this, so I'm nervous :)

Todd

Sounds like a plan! One thing; I have planed a number of maple boards down to 1/8 and some have got caught very badly on the trailing edge as they come through the planer blades I would suggest leaving a good 4" spare either end and then trim to length afterwards DAMHIKT!

Toddler

New User
Todd
no luck at home depot

Home depot had oak and poplar.

I think I'll head to the hardwood store this weekend unless somebody knows of a source closer to hillsborough where I can get a couple of 3x48x 1/4" maple boards ? I'll be planing it down to 1/8".

Thanks,

Todd

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Re: no luck at home depot

Klingspor has some strips that size prepared and bagged already, I feel like the lengths would be long enough for a guitar neck, and that they had some maple?

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Re: no luck at home depot

Home depot had oak and poplar.

I think I'll head to the hardwood store this weekend unless somebody knows of a source closer to hillsborough where I can get a couple of 3x48x 1/4" maple boards ? I'll be planing it down to 1/8".

Thanks,

Todd

Todd, HD and Lowes near me also only carries poplar and red oak. Planed and pricey I might add.

I don't know what else is in the Hillsboro area but the Hardwood Store sounds like a good choice. I'd be interested in hearing your comments after you go there. I've never been and may want to drop by the next time I head west from Rocky Mount and check it out.

I hope they have some thin stock. You may have to buy 4/4 and joint/plane it unless you have a bandsaw to split it. Their website shows 4/4 and up.

Chuck

Toddler

New User
Todd
The only Klingspor I could find seemed to be a site for sanding supplies. Is Klingspor also a lumber yard?

The Hardwood store is an amazing place, I was there a while back but they didn't have quartersawn lumber so I got it through the mail.

May go back since I don't need this piece to be quartersawn.

Thanks,

Todd

Toddler

New User
Todd
copped out and ordered from the hardwood store

I decided that the 10sq feet of 1/4 inch from the hardwood store was the way to go. They're super nice and will give me enough in hard maple to do what I want. I told them they can mix up the rest if that is easier.

No driving, no gas, probably get the wood on Wednesday. I'll post pics soon
Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS