Gluing TRECK DECKING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardcharger14

New User
Steve
Have a project , Bread board Built Table top, that will be built from TRECK decking. I plan to glue on the ( Mortise tenon) end boards. What Kind of glue would be best?? Thanks in advance, Steve Mc

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Do you mean Trex decking? I believe this is a man made product and since your using outdoors I would suggest a construction adhesive such as liquid nails.

Dan C.

RayH

New User
Ray
Here's the TREX web site FAQs. If their answers here are not enough, you can use their "contact us".:XXcompute:help:

Good luck,
RayH

Nativespec

New User
David
I have used the Gorilla glue and have been disappointed. It does not hold. I have a bird house that failed and some treated wood that pulled apart from both masonry and treated wood. I suspect they make a special glue for it.

The only thing Gorilla glue is good for is making a mess of your hands.

David

Nativespec

New User
David
Ray:

I have to admit that I do like to watch the foam grow out of the joints-much more fun than watching paint dry.

David

SkintKnuckle

New User
Martin
Steve, Hello

Some of the guys in the tech lab did some work trying to glue the poly decking materials a few years back, they finally gave up. You can forget any conventional wood glues. I don't think that epoxy will stick it either. They will NOT stick it.

You could try a polyurethane hotmelt, which I've seen in the woodcraft magazine, but are very expensive and requires a specialized glue gun applicator, your regular hot glue gun won't work for these. OR you could try a solvent based contact adhesive. If I had to glue poly decking, that's what I would use.

Good luck, and let us know what works.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Steve instead of gluing the BB ends on why don't you just pin them with dowels and then possibly wedge the dowels if you're afraid they might eventually fall out. You will still have to keep in mind the expansion/contraction of the Trek. That stuff moves, not as greatly as wood can but it does move.
Dave:)

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I don't think you will be able to find anything to bond to Trex- it is made from recycled plastic milk bottles and wood chips. The plastic is or is similar to Polyethylene and I've never seen anything that will adhesive bond it.

If you are making Trex breadboard ends for a Trex table, why not do a sliding dovetail. Once both pieces are cut to the right size, use dishwashing soap to wet them down so they will slide together. Once the soap dries they should stay put, but if not, put one screw in it from the bottom, center.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I just googled "adhesive for bonding Trex".

Following this link http://www.westsystem.com/ewmag/16/glueinglumber.html it appears West Systems makes an epoxy that will do the trick. Without surface prep they showed 100% substrate failure (rather than joint line) on Trex.

I believe that either 3M Super 77 or 90 aerosol adhesive may work but don't have any Trex to try it.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS