Gluing to a painted surface?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave

New User
Dave
I have some small wood letters that I need to attached a painted wood surface and was wondering about the best method to do so. Would basic wood glue work?

The letters are too small (thin) for any type of nail, so glue would be my only option right?

Dave

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Wood glue will work on latex paint.

Oil base paint would require something different, maybe automotive trim adhesive.

Test it on scrap first to be sure it will stick.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
If you have access to a pin nailer, then a dab of wood glue or better yet CA glue and a couple pins would work, i would expect.

Wayne

MarkE

Administrator
Mark
Glue (or ca) should hold the letters to the painted surface, but then you have to hope that the paint is bonded well to whatever is underneath. I would think some kind of mechanical fastener in addition to glue would be safer. Test a pinner on some scrap the same thickness to make sure the wood doesn't split.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Will the item be indoors or out? If outside I am not sure the CA will hold up.

Glennbear

Glenn
#1 for the pinner, as others have said the problem is the paint delaminating from the substrate.:wsmile:

ehpoole

Ethan
Corporate Member
Actually, a 21ga brad (either pneumatic or traditional) would have far more holding power than a 23ga pin and has roughly the same (low) likelihood of splitting the letters. If the letters are thick then 21ga or 23ga pins will do the job (esp. if fired at opposing angles), but if they are thin then the pins won't have much to work with and very limited holding power.

If worried about splitting, then predrilling and hammering in a traditional brad or finishing nail will solve the problem. As others have mentioned, the main issue with gluing to paint is that quite often the glue has a much stronger bond to the paint than the paint has to the underlying project. No matter how good the glue, once the paint begins to lift or loosen then the glue becomes irrelevent. Otherwise, epoxy is usually my goto glue of choice for such odd jobs. It is more durable than CA and does not require a porous surface like PVA [yellow] glues. Epoxy cures by chemical reaction rather than evaporation, so it is remarkably forgiving with respect to most jobs.

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
If possible, I'd trace around the letters in place, then sand the paint off to get to bare wood. Then glue with the appropriate glue (interior or exterior wood glue).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS