Getting Some Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Well, finally! This evening I was able to take one of the maple logs from Phillips (ptt49er) neighbors downed tree and do something with them!

Just roughed out a bowl for storage. The lumber was very wet, so it turned easily. Now I"m going to store it for a while and hopefully make a bowl one day from it.

IMG_7761.JPG

IMG_7763.JPG

IMG_7765.JPG

I also took a branch and turned a mallet to practice using the different tools -- especially the skew.

IMG_7760.JPG

erasmussen

New User
RAS
That sure looks like fun:eusa_danc
And that bowl is really looking good:icon_thum

I need to try wet turning sometime:jiggy:

nelsone

New User
Ed
Figured it was munchkin size, but your munchkin may still be a little too unpredictable with it!:wwink:

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Nice bowl and realy nice mallet.

I am strugging trying to turn a bowl...or at least getting it to come out right. At least the wood was free. I was able to send one flying across the shop yesterday...that was a new experience. :gar-La;

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
I like the bowl and the mallet. Does the mallet have the pith in it? Can't tell from the pic. How do you plan to dry them?

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I like the bowl and the mallet. Does the mallet have the pith in it? Can't tell from the pic. How do you plan to dry them?

Yes, the mallet was the entire branch. It was really just intended as some practice (not to be an actual mallet for the shop, but it ended up that way). No plans to dry it ... other than just let it sit (and crack). It will probably end up on my kids "workbench" (when I make it)

skeeter

New User
Charles
Jeremy, what is your procedure for storing the bowl to dry? Do you put it into a paper bag and keep weighing it till the weight stabilizes? From past experiences, approx. how long will this process take??

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Jeremy, what is your procedure for storing the bowl to dry? Do you put it into a paper bag and keep weighing it till the weight stabilizes? From past experiences, approx. how long will this process take??

I'm going to use the Bill Grumbine approach (well, he might not have invented it but informed me of it). Rough out the bowl, green seal the end grain, put it in a bag, label it with the type and date, then let it sit for about 6 months. I don't have any experience to say how this will turn out ... but I trust this experienced turners recommendation.

Truefire

New User
Chris
Hello is there anyone that is an expert in the field or arena of drying turned objects such as bowls to prevent them from checking and such. Could you please send me a private message with where I can locate such helpful information on this website or either type me a concise brief statement of manners in which to accomplish this. Thsnks for all your help, Chris

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Hello is there anyone that is an expert in the field or arena of drying turned objects such as bowls to prevent them from checking and such. Could you please send me a private message with where I can locate such helpful information on this website or either type me a concise brief statement of manners in which to accomplish this. Thsnks for all your help, Chris

Check out Bill Grumbine's DVD's/articles. That's more/less what I'm following .... which is rough it out, seal the end grain only (not the entire bowl), wrap it in a paper back and store it for 6 mo, then turn to final size.

Badabing

New User
Joe
Good looking turnings Jeremy! That Mallet looks especially well done. The shape is awesome :icon_thum Ever since watching those Skew videos I'm getting much better with that tool. I rarely get dig ins with it now. How are you doing with it? Looks like you learned well too :eusa_danc

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Good looking turnings Jeremy! That Mallet looks especially well done. The shape is awesome :icon_thum Ever since watching those Skew videos I'm getting much better with that tool. I rarely get dig ins with it now. How are you doing with it? Looks like you learned well too :eusa_danc

The skew is working out well ... I even picked up a huge skew from Makinsawdust and have been trying it (it's a bit different because it's so wide and so thick ... still not sure if I've sharpened it well, but it cuts!)

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you want to plan on using that mallet for some serious stuff I've got access to some sheet lead you could roll up & put in a hollow in the head.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Jeremy: You are flirting with the dreaded DS, are you not??? Careful, man, we don't want to lose you!

:gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS