Getting chainsaw massacred

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasjzl

New User
Jim
Hi, I am posting this in woodturning because I know anyone who turns green wood is going to have some experience using chainsaws. I have been having spending alot of time and a little bit of money trying to get a decent chainsaw. My I have been through three in the last few months and two in the last couple of days that I was fortunate enough to return the day after I bought them. They are all the bottom of the 'new' barrel, Poulan and Homelite 14 and 16" at Lowes and Home Depot respectfully. The Poulan actually lasted for a few months and maybe 3 cutting days. I am still stuck with that. I bought another Poulan 16" (35cc) to duplicate the one that I had long enough that I could not return it. I could not get it to start at all except with starting fluid. I just returned a Homelite from Home Depot that I bought immediately after and that worked for about 6 cuts today and then no more starting. My arm feels like it has been pulled out of its socket from pulling the starter many, many times today to get those 7 cuts. I am no small engine repair guy but I know enough to check for spark and gas and fouled plugs. In all three cases gas is flowing to the carb and there is spark. Is it possible that these 'bottom of the line' chainsaws are that badly made? I am more than willing to accept that there is something that I am not doing right but it seems pretty straightforward to me and in the case of two of these saws they actually worked for a short while.

I am very interested to hear of recommendations for specific brands or models as it is really, really frustrating to be spending all this time messing around with these saws that I want to be spending turning. All I want is a saw that will start and keep running on something like a consistent basis. Do I have to spend over $300 to do that? If so I will because this nickel and diming and violent right arm excercise is getting really old.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee

bluchz

bluchz
User
As a logger I use chainsaws every day. The brand that was recomended to me, by my father in law a lifetime logger, was Stihl. We use the 440 or now the 441. which is a large but not giant saw. I prefer a 036 size for the weight. We have guys use the 440 every day for 6 to 8 hours and get 6 months out of them minimum. I have heard good things about the Huskavarna ( i know i spelled that wrong but u get the idea) from other loggers. We keep a Stihl Farm boss at home for clean up work.

Just something i noticed with chain saws that we run is that they are easily flooded. When i start one I put the choke on, pull the rope till it POPs or fires once then put the choke off till it starts. One of the guys that works with me is frequently flooding the chainsaws and it frustrates him to no end that i can pick it up and get it started.:gar-La; Remove plugg, turn off, hold upside down, pull rope 10x's or so, insert plugg, repeat starting procedure above.

I don't know if this had anything to do with your problem, it's my $.02 worth about agravating saws and which brands we use at work.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
I would keep my eyes open for a used Husquavarna or Stihl, you can't go wrong with either of those. I've been using those for +35 years and they always deliver. The Husky 55 that I have now will start on the second pull every time. I would never buy a chainsaw from Lowes or Home Depot, the Lowe's and Home Depot equipment is built to lesser standards and quality. The same holds true for any other gasoline engine. If you can't find a used saw, go to a legitimate lawn & Garden Equipment dealer that deals in high quality legitimate equipment from the manufacturer. This reminds me, a good friend came by today and offered me some walnut trees. I need a new chain for my saw.

JRD

New User
Jim
I've had 5 chainsaw brands in my adult life. My current saw is a Husqvarna, and I'll never have anything again but Husky.

Pricey, but the best all around saw I've ever owned.

Jim

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
I also have the Husky and have had no problems. It starts on the second pull. I've had two other brands in the past. As has been said, Husky or Stihl. Ignore all the rest.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I've had a Stihl for over 25 years and it still works fine. I went through 3 or 4 Poulins and McCoullighs before I bought the Stihl.

Depending on how big you need and where you use it, you might consider an electric.

George

Robert

New User
Robert
I'd have to agree that money spent on a Stihl is well worth it. I've had a small one for over 15 years now, works every time I picked it up.
I also have a Stihl weedeater I bought about 17 yrs ago. It has seen a lot more use, but it's still running, no problems.
Guess I'd better go turn it off now.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
I've been around saws my whole life. We heated our house with wood as a kid and I still heat with wood when it gets down below 30 degrees. The heat pump runs to much if I don't. I have an old husky 61 that is incredable at cutting. I prefer it for bowl blank prep over my two smaller stihl saws that I got from my dad when he got to the point where he couldn't use them any more. You need power to split large rounds without working your self to hard. Both brands are great saws, just don't get one that is to small to do the job. The largest stihl I have is a 026 and it is great for clearing brush or cutting trees up, it makes more work for me if I use it to prep a bowl blanks.
Jack

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
A vote for the Stihl. Share a smaller one with my dad. We've done some pretty big work it.

I'd also say that for something as inherently dangerous as a chainsaw, I'd not cut corners. The safety features on our Stihl are very reassuring.

Jim

sasjzl

New User
Jim
Thanks to all. The next used Stihl or Husky that I see that is reasonably priced is mine.

I am stuck with this Poulan 16" 35cc though and I have a feeling my problem is flooding.
Here are some random symptoms:
- Spark plug is wet. Clean and dry spark plug and even got a new one and it still did not start. New or dry spark plug doesn't make a difference. Still no start. If it was flooding wouldn't that allow it to start?
- Starting fluid. If I take off the cover and spray starting fluid directly into the intake, removing the cloth filter, it will run off the starting fluid for a few seconds and then stop.
- This is the same saw that was running for me for a few months.
- Since it ran off starting fluid I was thinking that it was not getting any gas but from the wet plug it seemed to be getting some. Too much in fact.
- I removed the plug and made sure that it shows a spark when grounded on the engine. Whether it is enough of a spark I am not sure.

Thanks,
Jim Lee

DaveO

New User
DaveO
+1 Stihl, running a 360Pro, it starts every time even thought I use it very infrequently...and Husky is a second best but I have worked on them too much to give them higher billing over Stihl. Use what the pros use.

Dave:)

James Davis

New User
James Davis
Although noone has mentioned it, I bought a Stihl in a pawn shop about 8 years ago and have had no problems with it. It works great and starts fine. It is just more work than I like to do any more. It seems that every time that I go in a pawn shop there is a good looking Stihi sitting around. Be sure and test it before you buy but should do you well.

JAmes

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Husquavarna or Stihl in that order... only because I own a couple Husquavarna's and have used many a Stihl. Stihl's are awesome saws if I had my choic I would own a few of both brands. My Husquavarna's start with one pull most of the time, two at the most. I can set mine down idle'ing and they keep on running even when they fall over their side. I've found it key to keep the air filter clean on any chain saw. I wash mine in warm soapy water, blow it out with air hose and the saw is good to go. Also use quality chain and make sure it's stays sharp. Make time to file it or grind it before it gets dull. It's best to have 3 sharp spare chains and several files in your box. If you don't have time or the will to file the chain in the woods then change it with a sharp one and grind it when you get back to the shop. Bottom line running a dull chain will work the heck out of you and the saw. I posted a thread on a custom grind I like for both ripping and cross cutting you can find it here ---> http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f31/chainsaw-25768

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jim, I don't think that Poulan could stay in business if all of their saws performed as yours does. It does indeed sound like you have a fuel problem.

Things that I would check, are:

1 - my fuel/oil mixture. Does it match what the saw manufacturer recommended? Is there any chance that you may have made a mistake on the mixture? Did the saw smoke a lot when it was running correctly? How old is your mix?

2 - The air filter. Is it clean and unrestricted? If not, this will enrichen the mixture.

3 - If the saw will start on starting fluid and then dies, this tells you (a) you have spark, so that's not the problem, and (b), you have a fuel delivery problem. Either too much, none, or a bad mixture.

4 - In case you didn't know it, fuel mix is usually only good for 30 days. Anything older than that should be discarded (I burn mine up in my lawnmower) and replaced with fresh mix.

5 - When I'm stymied, I take my saws to a professional. All of my equipment is Stihl (Husky is also great), so I use either Bobby's Small Engine shop in Sanford, or Wilson Outdoor Power Equipment in Raleigh. Both of these businesses service professional landscapers / loggers, so they really know what they're doing. I don't think that Bobby works on Poulan's; not sure about Wilson's.

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
Stihl, I have never had to have any wty work done on anything I have gotten from them. Currently using Chainsaw and String trimmer. Work flawlessly.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I bought one of these at wally world. I have had it for a few weeks and it seems fine to me. Like others said fule mix is very important. also bar oil and chain tension. Dont give up yet. I know its silly but go back and read instructuions. see if it gives you any help.

Thanks Mark

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I would dbl check your fuel ratio,because if you have it to thick (to much oil)they won't run worth a crap.Here's how to start it when cold.Pull out the choke,pull the starter cord untill it fires,then push the choke in half way and it should start.Once you have it running then you shoudn't choke it anymore,as that will just flood it.just sqeeze the trigger and it should start right back up.This is if you have the fuel mixed correctly.You don't want to use starting fluid in small engines as it can do damage to the cylinders.If you can have someone show you how to mix the fuel if your not sure how.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Out of left field...

For cutting up stuff that isn't too big, I use a Remington electric. I have had one for about 15 years (made in USA; I think they import now) and used it enough to go through a couple of chains. The 2 big down sides are it needs to be plugged in and it can be overwhelmed (more because it is a 14" than because it is electric).

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am a bit late to this party. I have a John Deere 16" that is 25 years old and runs like a champ. The first 10 years I used it to cut 2-3 cords of firewood per year. The last 15 it has been used sparingly but it still runs like a champ. In the 25 years I have replaced the air filter a couple times, the spark plug maybe 6-8 times, the gas filter once and the chain tension screw once. I don't know how there new ones are but I would storngly consider one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS