Garage Door/Opener adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I've got a two car garage with two single doors and separate openers (LiftMaster IIRC). One opens and closes smoothly and quietly. The other is about twice as noisy and gives a big jerk when opens. I'm guessing something needs to be tweaked/adjusted but I've got no idea what. It's the type of door that has no visible springs (has the tensioner across the top of the door opening with the adjustment dial on one end.

Any thoughts, advice, or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Travis

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I look forward to answers on this myself. I have one with similar issues. The belt for the drive comes loose some times, but even still it doesn't shut a good portion of the time.

dave

New User
Dave
Travis,

I had some similar problems with my door and in my case, it turned out that the tracks were loose in several places. It was causing noise and also prevented the door from closing on occassion. After drilling a couple holes and bolting the loose spots, it cleared everything up.

My tracks are the type where the supports "snapped" into place. That's why it needed bolting.

Dave

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Travis,

I had some similar problems with my door and in my case, it turned out that the tracks were loose in several places. It was causing noise and also prevented the door from closing on occassion. After drilling a couple holes and bolting the loose spots, it cleared everything up.

My tracks are the type where the supports "snapped" into place. That's why it needed bolting.

Dave

Hmmm, I'll look again but I think the tracks are actually pretty solid. That's one thing I checked already (I think - it's been a while as I've been meaning to post the question for months. I just don't think about it until I hit the button and hear the racket.... then, by the time I get where I'm going I've been distracted by something else.... Ohhhh, look at those pretty flowers!).

DaveD

New User
Dave
Yank on the emergency disconnect cord and see if the door works easily without the door opener assist (it should). If it doesn't (too heavy) then the spring in the tube is probably broken. the springs seem to have a life cycle of so many cycles (mine lasted 12 years).

I do all my own maintenance but it was easier (and just as cheap) to just call the garage door guys and have them replace the thing. Guy did it in half an hour (new tube and all parts/springs) for the same price as I could have bought the springs themselves on the internet. Mine was a 16' door with 2 springs.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Yank on the emergency disconnect cord and see if the door works easily without the door opener assist (it should). If it doesn't (too heavy) then the spring in the tube is probably broken. the springs seem to have a life cycle of so many cycles (mine lasted 12 years).

I do all my own maintenance but it was easier (and just as cheap) to just call the garage door guys and have them replace the thing. Guy did it in half an hour (new tube and all parts/springs) for the same price as I could have bought the springs themselves on the internet. Mine was a 16' door with 2 springs.

I'll give it a go. The house is about 10 years old so it could be an age issue. I guess should use the other door as a baseline eh?

Thanks,

Travis

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If your spring setup is a torsion spring mounted over the door opening be very careful. These must be wound up with an appropriate sized rod inserted into the holes. If you let the rod get loose from the hole it could be catastrophic to your hand. Also, be sure to get the set screw properly tightened and the cable drums synchronized. They are designed to have a larger diameter for the first few rounds to accommodate the less torsion needed on an almost fully opened door. If they aren't in phase it will cause the door to open on one side first.

James Davis

New User
James Davis
One thing that I have found on mine is the spring will rub on itself as it opens and closes. I have to spray the springs with lubricant from time to time. It took me quite a while to figure out what was going on. It didn't seem right that the popping noise and jerks that I was seeing in the motion of the door was actually the spring loading up and then releasing itself when the tension was too high. I used Garage Door Lube that came from Lowe's.

James

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Ok, so I disconnected both doors using the emergency pull string. I didn't notice a difference in the effor required to lift either door, both were quite easy. Could it be something other than the spring?

If your spring setup is a torsion spring mounted over the door opening be very careful. These must be wound up with an appropriate sized rod inserted into the holes. If you let the rod get loose from the hole it could be catastrophic to your hand. Also, be sure to get the set screw properly tightened and the cable drums synchronized. They are designed to have a larger diameter for the first few rounds to accommodate the less torsion needed on an almost fully opened door. If they aren't in phase it will cause the door to open on one side first.

I'm guess this is what I have. I didn't see any obvious way to adjust it so I didn't try to hard. There is a numbered dial on the rt. hand side of each spring. The problem door is set at 20 the ok door at 14. I don't know what it's measuring or how you set them so I'm not sure what to try next (if anything). But, since both doors open easily when disconnected from the opener we may be barking up the wrong tree right?

One thing that I have found on mine is the spring will rub on itself as it opens and closes. I have to spray the springs with lubricant from time to time. It took me quite a while to figure out what was going on. It didn't seem right that the popping noise and jerks that I was seeing in the motion of the door was actually the spring loading up and then releasing itself when the tension was too high. I used Garage Door Lube that came from Lowe's.

James

Does yours have exposed springs along the tracks or is it a torsion spring above the door? If the latter how do you apply the lube?

thanks,

Travis

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
For the door and spring to be properly balanced, the door should set at about waist height (opener disconnected) without closing or opening on its on. Above that it should retract up. Below that should require some pressure to fully close from a static set. (It may close from full open by inertia).

That said, some companies set it to be "balanced" at full close (not good 'cause it could close on a young'in).

If the spring is visible, the initial installer should have spray painted a straight line across it when it was at zero tension. This gives a visible indication of how many twists of torsion is put on it when it is fully closed. (looks like a spiral). For instance, I have a 16' door with two springs. both are tensioned so that there are 8 turns on each when the door is fully closed (opposite directions on a full dual door). If your doors are set up that way, you may be able to tell if both springs are tensioned the same.

If it is lifting freely, it is probably needing the spring lubed in the tube. (I have never had one with the spring enclosed) or the chain is too long, has grit in the track or chain links, or just needs the track lubed. The Lift master also has a power adjuster, so yours may be set too forceful on that door (see owners' manual)

Unless you have two of the appropriate sized rods, and have a good idea of what you are doing (it is not as simple as it may at first seem, and that spring has a LOT of torsion) do not try to retension the spring. Best to call a garage door installer to adjust it. Most do not charge too much for that service.

JMTCW

Go

James Davis

New User
James Davis
Does yours have exposed springs along the tracks or is it a torsion spring above the door? If the latter how do you apply the lube?

thanks,

Travis

The torsion springs above the door.

I simply sprayed the out side of the spring with the lube. Then I operated the door several times and the popping and jumping stopped.

James

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Thanks for the great information. I'll check the balance to see where we are and look into the lube. If it's more complicated than that I'll call a professional.

Much appreciated!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS