Free: ACME thread bar stock - 5/8" / 14.5mm

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
Maybe for vise or press? Salvaged from screw drive garage door opener. 20' total, (1) each 10', 6.5' and 3.5'. Not sure of dimensions - possible it's proprietary to mfgr.

Also, 1" dia 18" long from broken vise.

Pickup in Chapel Hill and save me a trip to recycling center...
Mike

20240802_093012.jpg

20240802_092951.jpg

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
I have some of the garage door rod - two +/- 3ft sections as well (Lenoir) I've held onto for a decade or so without finding a way to put them to use. If some one has come up with a project, I could be persuaded to part with them in exchange for learning who, what, where, how, when, etc.

Also have the motor and mechanism from a Lift Chair and a couple of low rpm DC motors.I'd love to see put to productive use - similar medium of exchange.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Looks sort of like crude ball screw stock rather than Acme. A ball screw mechanism would make better sense for a garage door opener than an Acme thread rod.

iclark

Ivan
User
I have some of the garage door rod - two +/- 3ft sections as well (Lenoir) I've held onto for a decade or so without finding a way to put them to use. If some one has come up with a project, I could be persuaded to part with them in exchange for learning who, what, where, how, when, etc.

Also have the motor and mechanism from a Lift Chair and a couple of low rpm DC motors.I'd love to see put to productive use - similar medium of exchange.
If you saved/salvaged the nut that matches the thread, you might want to check out pop-pop's thread on bracket leg vise build or one of his other leg vise builds.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
You can make a new "nut" to fit, with HDPE/Actel/etc.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Better c-clamps, I-Bar clamps, and pipe clamps will usually have acme threads. Some makers use better threaded stock than others.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
If you saved/salvaged the nut that matches the thread, you might want to check out pop-pop's thread on bracket leg vise build or one of his other leg vise builds.
There was a "Nut that matched the thread???" Where the heck was it???

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Generally it is called a half nut with garage door openers. There is usually a pull cord to open the nut so the opener won't open the garage door.
Best photo I've got:

nut a.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS