First try at a bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
not having the box-building and joinery skills that most of you do ( yet ) I took a different approach to do my first bank . I stacked ambrosia maple and walnut and cut my opening with a bandsaw .
Lots of room for improvement but I can live with it and The Shoppe Widow is thrilled ( she gets the first one ) :mrgreen: I haven't decided what to do with the glass yet but I will probably etch it based on Tom's treatment of the banks he built. The inside is lined with felt and it does not tip over when the door is opened .....thanx Tom for the forewarning on that issue :eek:ccasion1

bank.jpg

View image in gallery

Got a little something different in mind for the next one :banana:

Thanx for lookin :mrgreen:

T

toolferone

Always glad to help a freind out :eusa_danc!

Looks great.

If I was to offer one opinion I would have turned the top to have the grain run left to right instead of front to back. Just my .02 cents worth.

The door looks brand new. How dirty was it before the soda cleaning?

sawduster

New User
Robert
Always glad to help a freind out :eusa_danc!

Looks great.

If I was to offer one opinion I would have turned the top to have the grain run left to right instead of front to back. Just my .02 cents worth.

The door looks brand new. How dirty was it before the soda cleaning?

Now that you mention it , it probably would have looked better with the grain turned :icon_thum Always more to learn :eusa_danc
That door was actually pretty badly tarnished . All I did to it was the ammonia/pepsi solution for 30 mins, scrubbed with a toothbrush, a litle Deft gloss and a turn on my lathe buffing wheel . That solution is simply amazing ! :icon_thum

Thanx for the tip on the grain :eek:ccasion1

Last edited:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
so thats the concept you was tryin to splain huh? Nice job duster.:icon_thum:icon_thum If you can set aside 20 minutes one Saturday I'll teach ya everything I know bout box buildin. I threw in an extra 10-15 minuted for coffee drinkin time.....:rotflm: normally that extra time would be commercials anyway.:gar-La;

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Great looking bank Robert, that came out really nice.

cskipper

Cathy
Pretty good for a first time.

Fred - does you instructions re: box building include the tape you've used in the past- lol?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Pretty good for a first time.

Fred - does you instructions re: box building include the tape you've used in the past- lol?

:no: no way! I hafta charge extra fer that.:rotflm: hmmm... less see here. free X 25%[fer de tape] = tic tic tic whoosh tic tic tic whoosh.... that comes to..... wait a minute here. this dont add up so goot.:gar-La; Well since my calculator is on the fritz, I guess the magic blue tape has to be included.:icon_scra hey... how bout i git im ta bring his own tape and i'll turn it into magic tape right before his eyes?:icon_cheers well then I gotta learn magic first:nah:. this teachin thing gets complicated huh.:rotflm:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
so thats the concept you was tryin to splain huh? Nice job duster.:icon_thum:icon_thum If you can set aside 20 minutes one Saturday I'll teach ya everything I know bout box buildin. I threw in an extra 10-15 minuted for coffee drinkin time.....:rotflm: normally that extra time would be commercials anyway.:gar-La;

Hey Fred:wsmile:, I'd like some of that box building instruction!! Let me know when the class starts!

RickC

New User
Rick
Nicely done! I really like the coin slot you made. I assume it was done on the scroll saw with a little bit of sanding to make "softer" edges.

Here is a base plan I have used when making my banks. Simple joinery (has to be for me to do it!) You can use router or table saw to do it. The plan can also be modified for your own tastes. Perhaps you don't want the dowels or rounded top. Make it "rectangular" with or without rounded edges.

This is one of the nice things about NCWWer folks - creativity runs rampart!

Rick

post_office_box_banks.jpg

sawduster

New User
Robert
Nicely done! I really like the coin slot you made. I assume it was done on the scroll saw with a little bit of sanding to make "softer" edges.

Here is a base plan I have used when making my banks. Simple joinery (has to be for me to do it!) You can use router or table saw to do it. The plan can also be modified for your own tastes. Perhaps you don't want the dowels or rounded top. Make it "rectangular" with or without rounded edges.

This is one of the nice things about NCWWer folks - creativity runs rampart!

Rick

post_office_box_banks.jpg

You are correct , I resawed a thin piece from the maple cut off and made the slot. i scrolled the coin slot after attaching it so it matched in both pieces. I was orginally going to do the slot as an inlay but ran out of gas near the end and didn't want to take a chance of screwing it up :mrgreen:

thanx for the plan .......I think I will play with that soon, but without the curved top ......my Bandsaw blade is too big for a cut like that

Thanx everyone for the kind words and encouragement :icon_thum

RickC

New User
Rick
..I think I will play with that soon, but without the curved top ......my Bandsaw blade is too big for a cut like that

I ran into that problem at first, as well. One approach to try is a series of relief cuts, perpendicular to the line of your arch. That will allow your saw to do the cut. Of course, that does add more time to the sanding process, by having to smooth out the cut with a large disk sander or a belt sander.

I am going to make my next ones with a flat top and then round over with the router. Will see how they turn out.

Thanks for the explanation of how you did the coin slot. An inlay, eh? That sounds interesting... :icon_thum

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Beautiful job on the bank, Robert.:icon_thum

I like the stacked look and slot also. You are a true craftsman.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
rounding the top would be easy with that big ol honkin belt sander you got.:gar-Bi make a few strait cuts to get most on the waste off and let er rip with the sander.:widea:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS