finding those nasty nails before the blade does

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbaileyjr

New User
Paul
What brand metal detector is good for checking wood before you run it thru a machine? I've heard "Lumber Wizzard" was good. Are there others used? Thanks for sharing gals and guys.

oldgrowthfurniture

New User
Jeff
Paul, I use a lumber wizard III. Although I have two complaints about it. First, if you move it too quickly over the board, it will give you a false beep. Secondly, only about half of the wand has a sensor in it. If you think it has a 14" capability, it doesn't. You have to swipe a wide board multiple times to check the entire width of the board.

All in all, it's a good detector, as long as you know it's flaws. It's missed a couple nails on me in the past, but candidly I think it was my haste, not the fault of the detector.

www.oldgrowthfurniture.com

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
For finding a nail in a piece of wood, I find nothing that beats a freshly installed set of jointer / planer knives.:gar-Cr Their success is directly proportional to the time it took to install them.:BangHead: But not having a second back up set, increases their effectiveness.

jhreed

New User
james
Bruce, been there done that. And I was planing wood for my BIL. He noticed the grooves left afterward and questioned me, but did not offer to replace the knives.
James

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bruce, been there done that. And I was planing wood for my BIL. He noticed the grooves left afterward and questioned me, but did not offer to replace the knives.
James
It almost makes you want to get a deposit equal to the cost of new knives before dressing someone else's lumber.
Even if they are related. :wsmile:
NO - especially if they are related! :gar-Bi

Glennbear

Glenn
90% of my woodworking is done with recycled lumber so this is a subject dear to my heart. I use a wand type detector I bought at Harbor Freight and it has performed well. When I worked in law enforcement we used the same detectors for searches when there was a lot more at stake than nicked planer knives. :eek: :qright5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS