Festool Kapex CMS on the Way to US Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
According to Christian Oltzscher, head of Festool USA the Kapex will be coming to the US in late spring or maybe summer.

Guestimates of thew price: $1000-1200.00

Here are the specs:

Choose Voltage:​
240v 110v

Finally a sliding compound mitre saw that merits the Festool brand name.
Applications
Trimming skirting boards and cornices up to 120mm in height
cutting boards and panels up to 305x88mm
Trimming crown mouldings up to 168mm in their 'original wall position'
Trimming square timber and beams up to 88mm thick
Trimming non-ferrous metal and plastics (with correct blade)
Cutting along the bisector without making calculations Features

Twin-column guide for accurate cuts
FastFix blade changing
Precision angle transfer via bevel and dual-line laser
Compact, lightweight design for convenient transportation Technical data

Power consumption - 1600w
Idling speed - 1400-3400rpm
Saw blade dia. - 260mm
Cutting depth at 90/90deg - 305x88mm
Cutting depth at 45/90deg - 215x88mm
Cutting depth at 45/45deg (left) - 215x55mm
Cutting depth at 45/45deg (right) - 215x35mm
Special cutting depth at 45/90deg (right) - 20x120mm
Crown moulding diagonal cut - 168mm
Inclination angle - 47/47deg
Mitre angle - 50/60deg
Dimensions (WxDxH) - 713x500x470mm
Dust extraction connection dia. - 27/36mm
Weight - 21.5kg
Scope of delivery
Operation tool, HW universal saw blade Z60, bevel, workpiece clamp.
(part No.s 240v - 561285, 110v - 561286)

Doug

Attachments

• Kapex.jpg
    Kapex.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 219

4yanks

New User
Willie
I am sure it is very nice but a 10.2362" blade (if I have my calculations right) might be a little hard/expensive to come by. The collapsible guides would sure make it nice for a small shop.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Gee Doug, could you have a least converted the specs to English system? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

In addition to the now legendary design and construction, the two best things for my shop I see are, unique slide arrangement that doesn't take much bench depth and great dust collection like all Festools (or so I've heard since I don't own any :cry: )

There are a number of Festool dealers like Bob Marino who have been putting people on a waiting list.

I'll hold off buying until I see some user reports- that will allow me time to save money and pave the way (begging LOML) so I can buy one some day. At $1200, that would be more than I paid a few years ago for my new Unisaw!!!

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I am sure it is very nice but a 10.2362" blade (if I have my calculations right) might be a little hard/expensive to come by. The collapsible guides would sure make it nice for a small shop.

Will this thing be like the imported sports cars... real expensive parts? I remember hearing from me fourth grade teacher that I had to learn the metric system right away because it was just about to displace the inches, quarts, pounds, etc. that I was used to using.

Festool's rep is fantastic (I don't (can't afford to) own any of their stuff either) but this really is some high end stuff... maybe it's meant for woodworkers more serious than me.

Ray

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
Wow.. this is great news.

I've looked at all the sliding compound miter saws out there and just couldn't find one that was insanely priced. Sure some made me chuckle, but I was looking for a price that would have me rolling on the floor with laughter.

That and I really wanted one that you couldn't buy blades for at most local stores.

My search is over. :)

Trog777

New User
Trog
IMO, Festool power tools reek of precision and quality. But..., as with most of their other units, I can't justify the cost difference over other offerings on the market. There are exceptions where I'm of a mind their tools are well above the rest (ETS 150/3 dust collection), or the only game in town (Domino), that I can justify. Others who spend more time in the shop/ have bigger budgets/ have better skills... can rationalize the cost of some of their other tools, and then there are those who can't warrant the expenditure for any when much cheaper well built brands do the job they want.

World would suck if everybody were the same. I'd chew on a shotgun out of boredom within a week.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I am not saying that I will buy one. However, most if not all SCMS are imprecise, the indexing is not accurate and can not maintain their orientation for repeatable cuts. Consequently, most people use their SCMS only for rough cuts. Precison cutting is done on the TS with a good miter gage or sled.

If the Kapex can solve these problems and provides the typical Festool dust collection, I predict significant sales. Alan pointed out another potentially attractive feature the reduced depth of travel.

BTW: The guesstimate I gave is from Bob Marino.

I don't own a Domino and dont plan to. If my woodworking required repeated joinery I would consider it. But for now I dont have the need.

Doug

Sully

New User
jay

Provided it has the right bore size, a regular 10" blade should work. No different than using a skilsaw blade on a TS (which I have done for making ZCTP's).

Or maybe I'm missing something ......
JS

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
I am not saying that I will buy one. However, most if not all SCMS are imprecise, the indexing is not accurate and can not maintain their orientation for repeatable cuts. Consequently, most people use their SCMS only for rough cuts. Precison cutting is done on the TS with a good miter gage or sled.

If the Kapex can solve these problems and provides the typical Festool dust collection, I predict significant sales. Alan pointed out another potentially attractive feature the reduced depth of travel.

Not all SCMS today are imprecise. Festool wouldn't be the only vendor to solve this issue. The Makita 12" I have accomplishes the task at 1/2 to 1/3 the purchase price.

I agree with you though... people will buy them up like crazy. Festool has done an amazing job at leveraging there sander reputation to other product lines.

4yanks

New User
Willie
Provided it has the right bore size, a regular 10" blade should work. No different than using a skilsaw blade on a TS (which I have done for making ZCTP's).

Or maybe I'm missing something ......
JS

I guess it depends on how far beneath the table the blade extends when fully lowered. At nearly a 1/4" difference it would have to be at least that much for it to work.

Jim Kunzweiler

New User
Jim
Overall I'm favorably impressed with Festool and being in the market for a new SCMS I am very interested in what I see on the web about Kapex. The promotional videos Festool made sure make the Kapex attractive... albeit pricey. I found a thread on an Aussie woodworking forum that highlights some of the challenges early adopters have had. To Festool's credit they seem to be addressing them. Check it out:
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=639912#post639912

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I have two comments.

First, it's well named, but they should replace the K with a C..., and add a hypen between the p and e... cause at twelve hundred big ones that's a major capital expenditure!

Second, there have been times that I regretted buying a cheap tool, but I can't ever recall regretting buying a high quality tool.

Scott

Nativespec

New User
David
The drawback is the price and the proprietary blades. The Domino is a great tool and not overpriced given what it does. The tenons are a bit tight in my oppinion and sometimes require the use of pliers to get them out when dry fitting.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS