Experiment With Logs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

New User
David
Well, last winter I put several Ambrosia Maples on the ground. Some of the bigger logs I cut up just small enough to roll over to the pile and stack up. I decided to let them "naturally" do their hickey and see what happened. Yesterday I took a couple of them and sawed off the sides. This is one:
SANY0474.JPG

Doesn't look too bad but the sapwood is a bit on the decayed side and may or may not be worth trying to turn something out of it. A couple of them that I cut into were tossed over to the burn pile. Nothing left but the heartwood and pith. The one in the pic measures 22" X 9" and has some really decent looking grain patterns and of course some really pretty ambrosia markings.

Now, here's one of the trees that I plan to cut down this year. Lots of burl-looking features all over it and even the root structures look interesting.
SANY0479.JPG

Exactly when I'll be cutting this one I'm not sure but hopefully, before 2010 rolls in. I've got more pics of trees, burls, etc. that I'll post up later on but tonight it's seeming to take forever to upload anything. Thanks for looking.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
:eusa_danc If you can't make a table out of them, they'll certainly be nice turning blanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS