European Hinge Drilling Jig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
This is a European Hinge Drilling Jig I made a couple of years ago based on a plan in the December 2003 Workbench magazine. It is made from 3/4" MDF. I added the drill bit alignment guide. This was not part of the plan. I sent the magazine a photo and explanation of the jig with the bit guide for their TIPs section and they just brushed it off as of no value.

Using the bit guide makes aligning the jig a "no brainer". Just put the jig on the DP table, run the bit down into the alignment jig and lock the bit there while you set the lock downs to hold the jig in place. You can also set your depth stop at this time. A DP fence is not really needed to use the jig. It just provides a little more security that the jig will not move. I used the jig to drill all my cabinet door for the house I remodeled. Everyone was drilled correctly except the one time I had a few days break between drilling holes and the DP table got moved and I didn't recheck the alignment before I started again.:BangHead: :BangHead:

The flip stops are attached to the jig the distance you want the center of the hinge hole from the top/bottom of the door measuring from the tip of the 35mm bit. I used 4" but I think the standard (if there is such a thing) is 3".

See my photo album for a complete photo layout.

EHDJ-1.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's a great jig and your alignment feature is sure to make it better. The mag editors probably didn't want to admit that they missed such a good improvement to their jig. The alignment block makes perfect sense, and using it to set the depth stops make drill the cup holes almost idiot proof.
Thanks for sharing :icon_thum :icon_thum

Dave:)

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
I agree with Dave! That is a nice jig but the alignment feature you added makes it a PERFECT jig! Even I could probably not goof using that:eusa_whis .
Thanks for the tip.
Take care,

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Neat jig. I have a dedicated 8" DP just for Euro hinges. Not all hinges are spaced the same distance from edge, so be sure and label what hinges this is for. All of my hinges use the same depth of 35 mm hole, but all my doors aren't the same thickness. Rather than setting depth rod each time I change to different thickness doors, I removed stop rod completely. In it's place, I use a piece of bolt with the head cut off. It is mounted so that the bolt is facing down (towards door being drilled), with a rubber tip on that end where the head was removed. The tip indexes the depth of bit to backside of door. No matter what thickness door, the hole is the same depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS