Dremel Scrollsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Quick question - does anybody have this model and if so how would you rate it for medium use? Jim

Dremel 1830 120V 18" Scroll Saw

Attachments

• 1830_pd.jpg
    1830_pd.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 303

cskipper

Cathy
I don't know that this was the Dremel that I tried. My only experience with a Dremel was not pretty. I opened it up, used it for a very short time, boxed it back up and returned it to the store. It had a TREMENDOUS amount of vibration. May have had other things I didn't like, but I've slept way too many times to remember.

They do make one with a sanding station on the side. I have no personal experience with it, but know one of the guys at the Greenville WC that likes it.

If you are going to use it occasionally it may be fine. If you are going to use it to really scroll saw much, you might want to look at other saws.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Personally, never used it ... however in my research for scroll saws it was definately at the bottom of the bucket in most people's opinions that I read.

Seems that a medium-use one that might be good is Delta's, or a step up to DeWalt.

:eusa_thin

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
In a word... DON'T.

I used one when I first started scrollin' and it was lously. I didn't know it at the time, but once I started using better saws I saw how crappy the dremel was.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Thanks for the feedback, what model Delta was good? the Shopmaster I tried moved around the bench top like a palm sander. Jim

cskipper

Cathy
I used a Delta for several years. I bought it at Lowe's, and WC used to sell it - ran about $250. It still vibrates, but not nearly as bad as the less expensive ones. If you can swing around $500 - the DeWalt sold at WC is pretty good. Try to get one that does not say "Type 2" on the motor. Those had problems with the blade clamps, although that could have been resolved.

To really get a saw with minimal vibration you need to jump into the $900-$1400 range. The difference is the motion of the blade. The motion of the blades in the lower end (including the DeWalt) ones is a pivot motion. The main thing that really dampens that is weight, which is the Desalts advantage. Above those are the Excaliber (runs around $900), the Hawk and the Hegner. There is also an Eclipse - but I really know nothing about it except that I think its at least expensive. The upper and lower arm work as a "c" and the blade literally moves in almost a completely vertical motion. The difference in vibration is truly amazing. I lucked into finding a used Hegner being sold because the wwker died.

You will only find new Hawk's on their web site and Hegner's on Advanced Machinery's site (they are German and this is the only company in the US that I have found that sells them). WoodGuy swears by the Hawk (especially because it's American made). I love my Hegner. I will probably sell my Delta - just haven't made that commitment yets. I am using it as a sander.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS