Dremel advice

Kelly

Kelly
User
My old dremel finally gave out,. Gosh I must have had that thing 20 years.
It’s one of those tolls you don’t use every day, but when you need it, it’s the only tool that can do some jobs.
I am pretty sure I want cordless and tool-free bit change, if possible.
Any advice on a replacement ?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I'm also interested in hearing comparative opinions, particularly on the battery powered models. I'm wondering if the extra weight is an asset or liability in controlling the tool.

Robinsage0279

Mark
User
My first Dremel didn’t last that long, only about 10 years. At that time I got another wired unit and it is still going after about 15 years, but my use of it has tapered off to ‘not often’. About 8 years ago I got a battery Dremel (don’t know the model number off hand). I do like it, a lot. Not having to deal with the cord is great. The power seems comparable and hasn’t been an issue for either wood or metal; cutting, grinding, etc. The only complaint I have is battery life, especially between uses. Run time is okay, not great. If you have long uses rather than the occasional cut or grind, it might not be the best choice. I don’t like keeping it on the charger, usually; sometimes when it’s the end of the day. Not too bad on recharging time. Not a tool free chuck; still have to find the small wrench. Weight wise, about the same if not just a tad lighter. No issues with control. Overall, yep, like it a lot.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Great response, Mark. I use the Dremel so seldom that I may have to stick with corded even though I now know that the battery powered model does have some distinct advantages.

For years I've just been hand tightening the collet and as of yet, not had any real problems with slippage.

I did some wood flowers using corded Dremels and the cords were clearly an annoyance If I decide to do a run of these again, I'll very likely give a battery powered Dremel strong consideration. Using two corded power tools on the same process gets the cords tied in knots.

dremel - 1.jpg dremel - 2.jpg dremel - 3.jpg

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
My dremel isn’t cordless. It does have a “built-in” wrench. Just untwist it, (the collar) and loosen the thing. It’s never lost. I leave it plugged in and hang it on a hook.

Attachments

• IMG_0062.jpeg
    IMG_0062.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0061.jpeg
    IMG_0061.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0063.jpeg
    IMG_0063.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
I would say get another Dremel off of Facebook marketplace or craigslist. Those get put up for sale with little to no use on them for a fraction of the new price pretty often.

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
I have a cordless and a corded version. The corded one has the extension so I can work with it easier. Have had both for several years now. I have to say that 99% of the time, I reach for the cordless one. Just easier to use and can move it about as needed. Same with hand tightening the collet. Never had an issue with doing so.

tghsmith

tghs
User
I use my dremels a great deal.. a bigger corded unit with a flex shaft hand piece so you don't have to deal with weight.. a three jaw chuck unit added for tool free bit changes..

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
I have a few Ryobi tools, so when my Dremel died, I went with their battery job which is the same battery as all their other tools. The battery and stand stay on the bench and you have a very light wire and the unit itself for weight. The chuck is cordless and the battery lasts forever This might work if you have other Ryobi tools.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have an older Dremel with flex shaft that I use from time to time for my intarsia. It is the corded version. F it dies I would probably replace it with the same.

tghsmith

tghs
User
some added photos, I like to stay with corded tools for tools that may sit for bit, that way you know they will work when you need them,, also have found the bigger dremels give better control and power when running at slower speeds..

Attachments

• IMGP0669.JPG
    IMGP0669.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 30
  • IMGP0670.JPG
    IMGP0670.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 30

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Mine gave out after, gad, 40 years? No, I git it when I was still in Jr High, about 51 years. I bought a WEN. It came with a flex shaft but I have never used it. Not the same quality as the old Dremels, but it works fine. I also have a Fordom for heavier work. I keep thinking how handy a cordless would be. Milwaulkee as I have their 12V tools.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have 2-3 dremels and a (forget the brand) fixed base motor with flex shaft. For small detail carving the dremel is nice, I bought the three jaw chuck in 1978 and have moved it to each new dremel I bought (wore out several). The big flex shaft tool is great for smoothing out large carvings. Guinevere? Maybe?

My wife uses a battery dremel for trimming the dogs’ nails. Light use and short duration so can’t really say how it would hold up to wood work.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Mine gave out after, gad, 40 years? No, I git it when I was still in Jr High, about 51 years. I bought a WEN. It came with a flex shaft but I have never used it. Not the same quality as the old Dremels, but it works fine. I also have a Fordom for heavier work. I keep thinking how handy a cordless would be. Milwaulkee as I have their 12V tools.
Cordless sounds great for quick cuts or hard to access places, but I expect the battery weight would annoy me more than the tether of a flex shaft (in a longer use project like ww-ing type 'carving'). I have a Foredom (flex shaft), seldom used. Hoping to get more use out of it in coming projects.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS