Dimensional composite lumber

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
When the weather gets better I am going to screen in a small porch for my daughter. While looking for materials I looked at the plastic composite decking and wondered if this stuff is made in dimensional sizes (2X4s, etc). Seems to me to be ideal to support screening since it is not needed for support, will last a long time and no worries about the chemicals in treated wood. Anyone know if it is available and if so where it can be found? Thanks.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have seen PVC dimensional lumber and moldings and used both. The BORG carry it in the trim and moldings section. It stinks when you cut it is the only downside I have had with it.

mike_wood

User
Thanks for the tip. I could not find it at my nearby stores but maybe I just missed it. I will look again.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have missed it myself. Best thing to do is ask in the millwork section. Some is MDF, but in most instances they do have the PVC.

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
just watch your spans 5'-6' is about the max for a hand rail, this stuff has no stenth by it's self and will sag if not suported.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
You should be able to find ready-made screening materials. My screened in porch (~20x15) has all of the screen 'frames' made out of a white PVC that's grooved for the splines.

It's definitely purpose-made stuff, not shop milled.

Try calling a specialty building supply house (Carolina Builders ?) or search the 'net.

-Mark

mike_wood

User
I found out that Tarheel wood treating in Morrisville has composite dimensional in conventional sizes (2X4, etc). I have not found anywhere carrying PVC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS