Desperation is the mother of invention

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I am sure I am not the first to do this. I planned to make a few segmentation pieces for the kids for Christmas (I am sure that is what they want instead of Wii games :rotflm: but they will get those also :cool:). I found some incredibly good pine at HD (somebody was sleeping - an 8' 1x12 with one dime size knot that doesn't go all the way though with some nice grain made it into the shelf wood pile) laid out patterns and rough cut the pieces. After I attached the patterns, I tried cutting a little (not on a real one fortunately; tested first) to see if a 1/8" BS blade on the little BS would work. The turns were too tight and I broke a blade confirming that. So I moved on to my lousy little pinned scroll saw. It was working but oh so slow and not quite the detail I was after.

I was bummed. I was shaking my head not knowing what to do next when I heard something in one of my tool drawers. It was the small veiner in my palm set calling my name. I actually tried the V some, but the crisp edges don't look right to me for what I ended up doing. I followed the pattern with the veiner, trying to vary the depth slightly for emphasis in spots but never going very deep - this is not relief - it is faux woodburning (using faux skills):

dragon-shield.JPG

The thin outermost line will disappear; it is the guide line for rounding. I used walnut gel stain and wiped it on and let it sit a bit, then wiped it off and then used #0000 steel wool with a buffing motion. It isn't done, but I think this is going to work. It has the look of an ancient wood cut.

CarvedTones

Andy
Thanks. I will probably finish all 4 together. I did a little work on the next one, which is a castle with lots of straight lines, and this time the V does look right to me. It will get deeper lines and I will "paint" (stain with a small brush) its sections as if I had cut them. This project does have me wishing I would put some priority into getting another scroll saw. I used to have an okay, but not great one and the one I have now is really just for thin stuff without too much detail; I got it for cutting soundboard holes. But I do enjoy the carving and I can sit with my wife while she watches TV instead of disappearing into the garage.

CarvedTones

Andy
Thanks, Scott. So are you going to change the sig - "Making dust, chips and those cool long curly things you get turning green wood" ? :)

EDIT - Jerry snuck in while I was replying. Thanks also Jerry. Yes, I do like the antique/ancient look it is getting. It will get oiled and buffed which should further the illusion (I hope).

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Andy, looks great - way to stay in there and not give up - there is always a tool to get the job done:icon_thum

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
After I attached the patterns, I tried cutting a little (not on a real one fortunately; tested first) to see if a 1/8" BS blade on the little BS would work. The turns were too tight and I broke a blade confirming that.

After I broke about four 1/8" blades on my little toy B&D bandsaw, and considered giving it away to somebody who wanted to use it to saw up deer he had slaughtered, I bought another blade, dug out the manual and looked into tuning up the toy.

Turns out I was setting the tension WAY too tight. So, following directions (something I am slowly learning how to do), I set the tension just tight enough to prevent slippage. That blade has been on for over a year, and for many tasks, the tiny B&D BS has become, for certain tasks, a go-to guy. You can cut some amazingly tight radius curves with a 1/8" blade if you're careful and go slowly.

By the way, did you get that pattern from a Lowenbrau label? Looks good.

CarvedTones

Andy
The pattern came from this book:

http://www.foxchapelpublishing.com/productdetails.cfm?PC=1013

and there on the cover you can see what it could look like as a segmentation project.

EDIT - Today only, it is part of a special deal:
http://www.foxchapelpublishing.com/...=12days11&utm_source=fcpnews&utm_medium=email

As an aside, what I was going to do if the BS had worked for me was to chip carve a channel with the grain to get to the interior and save the chip. Then I could saw in that channel, cut the interior (nearly all interconnects) and then glue the chip back in. If you are very careful about where you cut (right at a grain line) and use a true chip knife (very thin blade) it is practially invisible. The BS does have a kerf issue, but it isn't too bad.

I do need to tune the little guy. I think it was the guides being out of whack more than the tension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS