design software

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammy

New User
Sam Samotis
I have seen many post on different types of design software. I need something that has the ability to design just about anything made of wood. I have seen some people post free software and purchased software. can anyone help?

MikeH

Mike
Corporate Member
I have seen many post on different types of design software. I need something that has the ability to design just about anything made of wood. I have seen some people post free software and purchased software. can anyone help?

This thread can give you some insight...

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I am hooked on sketchup. It is free (go to google and search for sketchup), and there are lots of utilities and add ons for it. You have to change a few settings (pretty minor) for woodworking, but once you get the hang of it, it really is simple.

One thing I have found, is that when you get stuck with it or want to learn how to improve and do faster, ask someone with some experience. I was fortunate and hooked up with a guy from Sawmillcreek that I consider an expert. He helped me a lot, a whole lot.

My last observation is that it is easy to "over engineer" with it. When I did my daughter's dresser, I engineered some joints and interconnections and when I started building it, I was like why am I doing this.

If you try it and get stuck, start a thread. There are several members who are familiar with it.

sammy

New User
Sam Samotis
Ive tried both Sketch up and Alibre. Sketch up is so easy to use and you can really do alot with it. Alibre is very technical to me.. Thanks for the advice.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Lots of tips and tricks on sketchup. In case you didn't know, set your precision to 1/64" and turn line snapping off.

Good Luck

KevinCwalina

New User
Kevin
Hello,
I'm a professional draftsman, so I use a lot of expensive products like AutoCAD, but I did read in one of my trade magazines that there are two products out there that are free! CADLogic Architectural CAD from CADlogic UK. Architectural CAD & building design software inc. bespoke software & add-ons for AutoCAD, AutoCAD LT & ADT. and Solidedge 2d Drafting v19 Solid Edge Free 2D Drafting Software - Version 19 They both are 2D drafting programs so Sketch up is still going to be better for working in 3D, There is a review of the software in the most recent copy of Cadalyst at Cadalyst - Home Page that you can read at Cadalyst Labs Review: Getting the Last Drop - Squeeze the most from your software budget with low-cost CAD solutions - CAD Management

I know a lot of people who use vectorworks and find it pretty easy to pick up. I'm not sure of the price for that, its not as much as Autocad, but still a few hundred I believe. In school they used to have a class on a program called Turbo Cad. I never used it, but I think its supposed to be full featured and less mony.
It you just happen to have money to spend you might want to try something like AutoCAD LT. Its a scaled down version of the full package. I believe it will only do 2d.

If you end up going the AutoCAD route and have questions, feel free to ask, I enjoy talking about drafting about as much as I do old tools.

Good Luck,
-Kevin

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I'll add another vote for sketchup. Dave Richards on Sawmillcreek did a great tutorial...unfortunately, he moved his pics to another hosting and now the thread is pretty useless. It was a huge help to me when I started though.

MikeH

Mike
Corporate Member
Hello,
I'm a professional draftsman, so I use a lot of expensive products like AutoCAD, but I did read in one of my trade magazines that there are two products out there that are free! CADLogic Architectural CAD from CADlogic UK. Architectural CAD & building design software inc. bespoke software & add-ons for AutoCAD, AutoCAD LT & ADT. and Solidedge 2d Drafting v19 Solid Edge Free 2D Drafting Software - Version 19 They both are 2D drafting programs so Sketch up is still going to be better for working in 3D, There is a review of the software in the most recent copy of Cadalyst at Cadalyst - Home Page that you can read at Cadalyst Labs Review: Getting the Last Drop - Squeeze the most from your software budget with low-cost CAD solutions - CAD Management

I know a lot of people who use vectorworks and find it pretty easy to pick up. I'm not sure of the price for that, its not as much as Autocad, but still a few hundred I believe. In school they used to have a class on a program called Turbo Cad. I never used it, but I think its supposed to be full featured and less mony.
It you just happen to have money to spend you might want to try something like AutoCAD LT. Its a scaled down version of the full package. I believe it will only do 2d.

If you end up going the AutoCAD route and have questions, feel free to ask, I enjoy talking about drafting about as much as I do old tools.

Good Luck,
-Kevin

Thanks for the input Kevin. By the way, welcome to NCWW!:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Oh, I still keep in close touch with Dave Richards. He is now at Family Woodworking - Powered by vBulletin. Will answer any and every question on Sketchup.

The settings I was speaking of are under window, model info. The change is not persistent so you have to adjust it every time you do a new drawing, unless you know how to do it in the master template, which I don't remember how to do.:oops:

MikeH

Mike
Corporate Member
I had a previous post in this thread saying I more or less didn't like Sketchup, but I downloaded the latest version and in working with it today I've become a fan. I really like the versatility and ease of use. I would highly recommend it to anyone that wants a useful and FREE design program.

You can download it HERE.

The settings I was speaking of are under window, model info. The change is not persistent so you have to adjust it every time you do a new drawing, unless you know how to do it in the master template, which I don't remember how to do.:oops:

Thanks Travis!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Another trick. Use the scale tool to make a mirror image of a component so you don't have to redraw - for example a table leg, cabinet side, etc. That way, you don't have to do dadoes, etc twice.

KevinCwalina

New User
Kevin
I thought I one more option, those of you who have a copy of Corel Draw can use it to draft with. I remember a ways back we used to use it. There is a setting in the options where you can set the scale you are working in so that you can type in feet and inches and not have to deal with dec. conversions.

-Kevin

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Sammy, thanks for asking the question. I NEED to use something like Sketchup myself. I spend a whole lot of time with a calculator and engineer's pad designing projects. If I used design software I believe it would speed up construction. Free is even better. :-D

Chuck

sammy

New User
Sam Samotis
Ive already done 2 shop drawings in the past week. I turned them in with my estimate and not only got the job but was also complimented on the drawing. I feel like my business just grew a mile. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have one warning on using CAD. Personally, I have a tendency to over-engineer and make things harder than they have to be. Easy to draw, harder to do the actual joinery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS