Cleaning TS Blades on the cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Yesterday, my wife was cleaning out the oven with easyoff and a idea came to me. Why not try that stuff on some gunked up carbide tipped tablesaw blades that I was going to take to get sharpened? So I got me a container that was a little bigger around than the 10" tablesaw blade and sprayed both sides with easyoff, Then I put the blade in the container to soak for about 15 mins.

Much to my surprise the blade came clean with just a little bit of scrubbing with one of those non scratch green pads my wife uses to scrub pots with. Then I tossed the blade into the saw dust pile under the tablesaw to get it good and dry. I then blew it off with the air hose and mounted the blade in the tablesaw. Much to my surprise it cut like 100% better than it did before and not a hint of a burn mark on the wood either :) So I cleaned 5 more tablesaw blades and my dado stack just the same. Looks like my trip to see the sharpener guy will have to wait till my blades are really dull and not just gunky. That little can of easyoff and a little bit of elbow grease saved me some real $$$.

I also cleaned a bunch of carbide tipped router bit's after taking the bearings off first, easy off worked great on the router bits too.

Thought I would pass this alone... I've seen cleaning solutions in wood mags but never tried any of it. You can pick up a can of easyoff and those non scratch green pads at the dollar store real cheap. Sure does beat sending them off to the sharpener.

Here's what I used
RB00138.jpg

Heavy duty green scubbing pad ---> http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTtMxTcoXfEEVuQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Following all the reports of Oven-Off causing the brazing to weaken, I switched to Simple Green. I never had a tooth fly off from using Oven-Off, but didn't want it to happen either.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Following all the reports of Oven-Off causing the brazing to weaken, I switched to Simple Green. I never had a tooth fly off from using Oven-Off, but didn't want it to happen either.
There are a lot of discussions on the topic. The safest solutions appear to be kerosene or citrus cleaners, although I can't see Simple Green doing anything bad to the carbide unless you soak blades in it for hours and hours. Oven cleaner works fantastic though. On cheap router bits gummed up really badly, I've used it a few times. Just make sure you get all the residue off.

Personally, I think the concern about the brazing being affected by these cleaners is overstated, but like Joe said, why take the risk?

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
That's a great idea Jeff. Easy Off is something I don't have laying around but I do have gallons and gallons of Simple Green. Might have to try that out. :widea:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
The metal pizza pan from the $ store is the perfect size for blades.
Great idea! I use the plastic oil pan from Harbor Freight, also cheap. But the pizza pan has given me an idea, a cake pan would be perfect for cleaning 12" planer knives.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Here is something you might want to consider before using Oven Cleaner or Simply Green.

Definitely avoid oven cleaner and other caustics. They attack the cobalt binder in the carbide and can lead to carbide failure (translates to tiny missiles of carbide at 100+ mph). Also, Freud and some other brands of blades have a tri-metal brazing foil that uses copper alloy for a cushioning layer. The copper can also be affected by these cleaners (translates to larger missiles of carbide). We recommend soaking overnight in kerosene in a vented container and using a stiff nylon bristle brush to clean. Teflon coated plates will clean up with a soapy cloth (except for the teeth as mentioned earlier). There are commercial blade cleaning products that are not caustic but we don't officially sanction them.

The manufacturers of Simple Green recommend NOT USING their product for carbide tool cleaning. Freud recommends using kerosene.

Charles M.
Freud, Inc.

CLOSE QUOTE

The subject comes up on every woodworking site at least once or twice a year.

Howie.................

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Dont forget that another solution is the mr clean majic erasers I use them to take breakdust from the motorcycle wheels and it did take burn marks from my ts blades as well.

As for the braze thing Baz mentioned My metalurgist at work said that as long as you limet the exposure and ensure that no residue is left on thbe blades or bits you should be ok for a while. Eventually it may become an issue.

Thanks Mark

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Thanks for that info,I had heard it was bad,but never had anything come apart,lucky I guess.I just never liked the fumes,even outside.Gonna have to change my cleaning habits now for sure.

Here is something you might want to consider before using Oven Cleaner or Simply Green.

Definitely avoid oven cleaner and other caustics. They attack the cobalt binder in the carbide and can lead to carbide failure (translates to tiny missiles of carbide at 100+ mph). Also, Freud and some other brands of blades have a tri-metal brazing foil that uses copper alloy for a cushioning layer. The copper can also be affected by these cleaners (translates to larger missiles of carbide). We recommend soaking overnight in kerosene in a vented container and using a stiff nylon bristle brush to clean. Teflon coated plates will clean up with a soapy cloth (except for the teeth as mentioned earlier). There are commercial blade cleaning products that are not caustic but we don't officially sanction them.

The manufacturers of Simple Green recommend NOT USING their product for carbide tool cleaning. Freud recommends using kerosene.

Charles M.
Freud, Inc.

CLOSE QUOTE

The subject comes up on every woodworking site at least once or twice a year.

Howie.................

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I'm using this CMT spray cleaner. http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/cmt2050bladeandbitcleaner18oz.aspx
I just lay the blade or bit on a folded section of the newspaper, give the nasty area a light spritz, let it sit for a few minutes. Hit the stubborn spots with an old toothbrush, wipeclean with a papertowel and toss the newspaper back in the recycle bin. Got it about 3 years ago. A little goes a looooong way...not even 1/4 gone and I have used it a lot. More of that magic Orange stuff.

T

toolferone

YUP! Us Freud guys are very passionate about NOT using oven cleaners. I talk about it all the time.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I use awesome from the Dollar Store, a NEW tooth brush, and the lid from a 5 gallon bucket. A 10" blade fits perfectly into the lid. I put blade into lid, spray just the teeth, and a couple minutes later have a go at it using new tooth brush. (A new tooth brush is stiffer than an old one. I use a propane torch to heat the handle on the tooth brush, so,I can bend an off set into it.) Turn blade over and do other side, faces and gullets of the teeth. Rinse under running water. Use old towel to dry blade, then put blade on stove (gas). Turn burner on low, only until remaining water starts to evaporate. Turn burner off. Remember blade is warm. Done.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I've had very good luck with DNA (denatured alcohol). I put blade in a plastic oil change pan, squirt enough DNA to just cover the blade and cover with a plastic drop cloth for 10 minutes. Most of the gunk falls right off, but a tooth brush or short bristle parts brush easily knocks off the rest. On to next blade using the same DNA.

Cleans the blade but doesn't mess with the braze, anti-friction coatings, brand marking, etc, and is also safe for the atmosphere.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS