Cleaning Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have a pretty good assortment of files of various cuts, (fine, medium and course bastard files), some round files etc..

Many of them I have neglected to clean on a regular basis.

When a brass wire brush won't clean them; what could I do to restore the cut? I have used them on everything from metal, plastic and wood and they are so bunged up that they barely cut wood!:BangHead: (What rasps I do have are fine as they are much easier to clean and only see wood!:gar-Bi)

Any tips out there would really be appreciated.

TIA.

Wayne

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
wire wheel on the grinder.:icon_thum the wire wheel is much softer steel than the file so it wont hurt it any.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Wayne, the best way to clean them is with a card file. This is a wire brush that is made specifically for cleaning files.

I have one that you can borrow, should you wish.

Scott

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Wayne, the best way to clean them is with a card file. This is a wire brush that is made specifically for cleaning files.

I have one that you can borrow, should you wish.

Scott

Thanks Scott.

I do have a file brush like one of these ....

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/...all&recN=113243 10000046&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

But it just doesn't seem to get them real clean.:dontknow:

Maybe a wire wheel (like Fred suggested) is my only option at this point.

Thanks again!:icon_thum:icon_thum

Wayne

gator

George
Corporate Member
Pack 'em in a flat-rate USPS box and send them to

http://www.boggstool.com/

Some have said that you can dip them in battery acid, but I haven't and wouldn't try that myself 'cause I wouldn't know how long to leave them in and I am afraid of loose battery acid.

George

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Files do wear out. Any that are so far gone I keep in a box for making tools and replace with new files.

jhreed

New User
james
Most use files on steel or iron incorrectly. They only cut on the forward stroke. Dragging them back will round over the teeth and make them worthless. Proper method is to stroke to cut, pick up and return to starting position and stroke to cut again.

If the cutting edges are rounded over you need to purchase new files.

Dudelive

New User
Dude
I use a file comb or card to clean files after spraying with a penetrate oil. If that don't and most times it won't do any good, then I replace them and try to remember to treat the properly from then on. Mike is correct, they do wear out....sorry to say. Cleaning might help though, worth a try.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I use a file comb or card to clean files after spraying with a penetrate oil. If that don't and most times it won't do any good, then I replace them and try to remember to treat the properly from then on. Mike is correct, they do wear out....sorry to say. Cleaning might help though, worth a try.

Thanks everyone for all of your replies!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum

I cannot guarantee that my files haven't seen their fair share of abuse.

I will try and revive the ones I can with the card cleaner or wire wheel. The ones too far gone I will ditch and replace.

Thanks again!

Wayne

ehpoole

Ethan
Corporate Member
Being a bit tired strange thoughts have been known to enter into the picture...

That said, if the wire-brush idea fails then perhaps they could be cleaned with a pressure washer (with, say, a 15-25 degree tip). Just be sure to dry (and oil) thoroughly afterwards and make sure they are well secured so they don't get airborn.

I always clean my files with a file card after each use, it is very hard to get them adequately clean once they have been allowed to clog.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS