Ceramic Sanding Belts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
On a recent visit to my local Lowe's I had need of some sanding belts for a customer project. Upon looking at the what they sell I noticed a new item. It is sanding belts made - or marketed - by Shop Smith (yes, you read that right) with ceramic abrasives. They seemed somewhat pricey but I figured I'd give them a shot. Put one of the 80 grit belts on my little 'Kenmore' belt sander, and man, that thing cuts! I was working in ash and it was cutting it like it was spruce. The belt didn't clog up, either.
If you get a chance to try one, I'd recommend them highly.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Yup, pretty cool eh!!

HOW has been using ceramic belts on our sharpening station (wide belt sander) and with scary sharp on glass.

The ceramic belts have proven themselves for metal night and day above all other sheet abrasives. And we tried them all.....

Thanks for letting us know about this. Might be a little more cost effective and more accessible than our previous sources!

Jim

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
So Jim,

Where do you get ceramic sheets to use on glass for sharpening? I've just been using wet/dry paper.

Jim Wallace

Glennbear

Glenn
Thanks for the tip Dennis, ceramic grit makes perfect sense. Over the years I have cut myself more than once during DIY projects on broken ceramic tiles and fixtures. :gar-La;

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Woodworkers Supply sells various wider belts that we cut into long sheets for our glass plates. Their paper backing isn't super stiff, so it lays flat nicely.

Jim

So Jim,

Where do you get ceramic sheets to use on glass for sharpening? I've just been using wet/dry paper.

Jim Wallace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS