Can I cut SS 304 stainless sheet with a 'standard' bimetal blade ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I want to cut some 18-20 ga 304 SS sheet into pieces for a wwking project.

Is this a good idea using a "normal" 10-14 tpi bimetal metal-cutting Lenox blade ? This will be on my upright metal-cutting Delta BS, so the speed is no problem. But I'm wondering if I'm going to e.g. shear all the teeth off the blade.

I've got to cut maybe 3 linear feet.

Thanks,
-Mark

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I think the rule is to have two teeth in the thickness you are cutting.

20 GA. = 0.0359 inch = 55 tpi hmmm, that sounds too fine. what is wrong with my info?

Glennbear

Glenn
In the last century (dang that sounds old ! :gar-La;) we used a Sawzall with similar blade configuration to make field cuts on SS kitchen ductwork and hoods. I would suggest a lubricant to help dissipate heat, we used an aerosol product similar to WD-40.:wsmile:

jhreed

New User
james
You should have no problem and Lennox makes great blades.
Mike, sounds like good formulas for re-sawing wood.

James

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
http://www.bensscrollsaw.com/blade.html

Metal Cutting Blades
These are high quality blades for precise cutting of thin metals up to .125 inch (3 mm) thick and for other hard, nonmetallic materials. They are specifically heat treated to give maximum performance with power scroll saws. Can be used in hand frames also.

$2.50 per Dozen - $14.10 per 1/2 Gross - $22.80 per Gross

Part # Measurements T.P.I. Drill Size
MET 2/0 5" X .010" X .020" 55 # 75

http://www.pbcohen.com/item-53.html

The 2/0 size blade, which is 0.0100 inches thick, is designed to cut 20 or 22 gauge metal

striker

New User
Stephen
I'd put the worst blade I own on, crank up the speed and give friction sawing a go. The SS is likely to be hard on any blade.

ebrant

New User
Ed
Another technique that helps a lot is to back up the SS with a pieced of wood under it and saw both together. Makes a big difference.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
You will get a longer blade life if you use a cutting or tapping fluid designed specifically for stainless steel.

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
I'm assuming you're not doing straight cuts?

IF you're doing straight cuts maybe someone has a circular (or miter) saw METAL CUTTING blade or a metal shear you can borrow? Just a thought...metal shows a crooked line more readily than wood.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Cutting thin stainless steel is one of the FEW things the counter-rotating bladed saw does well. It won't do curves, though it will do crooked lines.:gar-La;

DaveD

New User
Dave
Straight lines or curves?

If I was going to try this I'd back up the SS with a piece of lumber or make a zero clearance insert for the BS. I'd also go for a higher number of teeth in the 22-24 range. I would guess the 10-14 tooth one will just try to tear its way through.

A plasma cutter would be the way to go though. Fairly clean edge and little or no HAZ (heat affected zone) showing.

I sent you a PM.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I have a plasma torch that you're welcome to use. Additionally, I have a 52" shear/brake/roll machine, but unfortunately it is only rated to 20ga mild steel, which would be about 22 ga stainless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS