Camping equipment needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

toolferone

Hello all,

My wife and I have the chance at a weekend up in the mountains in October (with out our daughter). To save money and try something new (for her) we want to making it a camping trip. The problem is we have no camping gear. We are asking all of our friends about borrowing some camping gear: Tent, 2@ sleeping bags, gas stove, lanterns, etc (stuff I have not thought of). We are not back packing, just driving to the campsite. I know beggars can't be choosy, but I am hoping to find a large enough tent so I can at least stand up in the middle (me 5'10").

Any and all help in this would be great.

P.S. When I borrow anything I return it in the same or better condition then when I got it and if not I make it right. (big believer in the golden rule here)

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Tom,

Being the rugged, outdoors, he-man that I am... I do most all of my camping at such rugged, manly, remote, wilderness sites as the Marriott or Hilton.

That being said, I do have a Coleman propane camp lantern with two one-pound bottles of propane. I can drop them off at the store if you let me know when you'll be there.

Ray

T

toolferone

Mike, we are going after the cookout, so I would like to borrow some of your stuff. Will be in touch later.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Tom, I can lend you just about all you need. The stand-up sized tent isn't in my inventory, but a big family tent is. I've got more camping gear than I know what to do with....it was my hobby before ww'ing.
Dave:)

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
if i were home or if you could get ot my place we have a lot of stuff you could borrow. Let me know if you need something and maybe the NCWW Ponyexpress can get it to you.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Sounds like you are covered Tom... but just in case. I have a 2 burner propane stove you can borrow. Just let me know. Oh.. and most importantly.. I have a camp site coffee maker....

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
A word of advice from an ex-camper (tent, pop-up, 18' travel trailer). Before you leave on your trip..........practice....practice...... putting up the tent in your back yard.

I have been in camp grounds where "campers" show up after dark with a borrowed tent that they have never put up. :crybaby2: :crybaby2: One instance at Myrtle Beach the family arrive after dark and with help from several other campers they finally got the tent up sometime around midnight. I think you get the idea.

I have had some of my best vacations camping. Your daughter will probably love the adventure. My son loved it. We had our best camping trip at the Pisgah National Forest campground near Brevard.

Enjoy your trip.

T

toolferone

A word of advice from an ex-camper (tent, pop-up, 18' travel trailer). Before you leave on your trip..........practice....practice...... putting up the tent in your back yard.

I was just talkingto the guys at work today about that. I allready told them I would put up the tent in daylight before we went on the trip. Thank you for providing support to my thoughts. The tent our family had as kids was a very weird tent. I could tell you today how to set it up and take down and pack it even though it has 25 years since I last saw that tent.

Our daughter won't be joinging us this trip but I hope to take her when she gets a little older.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Tom,
I've got some stuff too, if needed . . . sorry, no large tent :-(
But I do have two fine Cabela's auto inflating mats. They make the ground a whole lot softer and don't take up much space :)

Roger

cskipper

Cathy
I have nothing you need, but your post made me remember all the camping we did when we were kids. Traveled to California, Florida, Nova Scotia - great memories!

dtomasch

New User
David
Tom,
I'm up her in the asheville area, and can help you out with quite a bit of your gear, although most of my gear is backpacking gear (ie small). I can also probably steer you in some good directions for great camping. Also, if you need a "base camp" I'm 15 minutes from the BRP. Let me know if I can help in any way;-)
Dave

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
Tom,
Those Cabela's ground mats do wonders for the back if you haven't laid on a hard surface for a while, the ground is not forgiving.
dick

nelsone

New User
Ed
Tom, you should have a good time. We have a group that gets together Halloween weekend every year. It's usually quite nice. Two things you may want to think about, inflatable mattress and a small propane heater. We usually don't need the heater, but October can get chilly. A couple years ago we bought a double thick queen size mattress and I'll never go camping without it again!

T

toolferone

Tom, you should have a good time. We have a group that gets together Halloween weekend every year. It's usually quite nice. Two things you may want to think about, inflatable mattress and a small propane heater. We usually don't need the heater, but October can get chilly. A couple years ago we bought a double thick queen size mattress and I'll never go camping without it again!

We have a nice Aero inflatable mattress we will be bringing, and I have my beautiful wife to cuddle up with to stay warm.

T

toolferone

WOW!!!!:icon_thum Everybvody has been great on this. I did not expect so many responses. As soon as my wife and I book a date I will get in touch by PM with whom I would like to borrow stuff from.

I am still holding out for the big stand up tent:-D :-D !

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Tom, this is what you need

Copy_of_big_top.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Excellent choice of a vacation spot... Since you are car-camping, may I suggest entering the Pisgah Forest in Brevard and camping near "The Pink Beds" or "The Cradle of Forestry". Both are at a high enough elevation that you should have some great views, small trails to walk and public facilities - but not so close to the road as to be bothered. Each of these are well marked areas along the Blue Ridge Parkway access road from Brevard. There are many waterfalls and fun places to stop - including "Sliding Rock". Contrary what thoughts the name might suggest, it's a where you slide on the shale bed of a mountain brook and plunge into the water below (let the wife or kids go first - the water is very,,,,cool).
Another excellent trip is to the North, on the New River. I've used an outfitter named Zaloos Canoes, which provides dropoff, canoes, gear, and pickup. New River Outfitters, or NRO, is another good one. They have a deal with a nearby camping area on the river where you can spend the night and then canoe to the pickup point the next day. Good family event.

-Have a great time

David

T

toolferone

David thanks for all the great info! Isn't there also a area around there called "Bust a*s falls". I have been thinking about the canoe thing but have not asked my wife yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS