Bandsaw Blade Welding in Charlotte?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Anybody know of a service welding bandsaw blades around Charlotte? There used to be a guy behind the State Patrol office in Kannapolis but dont know if he is still around.
Thanks!

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Alright...getting a little anxious. Just got a killer deal on 16.5 ft of 1 inch Trimaster bandsaw blade stock and I know somewhere in a metro of >1 million people someone welds/brazes bandsaw blades. Anybody?

How about Winston-Salem/Greensboro/Burlington/RTP?

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks Bob!
You make seemingly impossible stuff like this so simple that people like me with 12 thumbs consider trying it. I need to get my hands dirty. The silver ribbon soldered scarf joint will give a stronger joint than the welded butt joint I would have ended up with.

bwat

New User
Bill
If you need anything more try Gordon Combest in Mt. Holly. He makes Timberwolf band saw Blades. 704-460-9479, no relation or affiliation but he presented at a WW meeting once and seemed like a great resource and very willing to help with any questions. I'm sure you have also seen his booth at the Charlotte WW shows. http://move.to/TimberWolf (no .com) or bandsaws@juno.com.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Bob,
Any concern about the brazed carbide teeth on this blade using your method? Should I consider a heat sink like an alligator clip or hemostat on the closest one? Don't want to risk screwing up an expensive blade.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
No idea about brazed-on teeth. Any time one is making a bandsaw blade, the teeth at the weld take a hit, but with so many teeth, it usually isn't an issue.

Good luck and report the progress.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I read the thread when you bought one and wanted to buy one myself but overspent on the LN/WC sale...LOML said, "NO!!" :no:

I tried out a Trimaster for a few cuts recently and was really impressed with the cut quality. I'd only used Si-steel bands and the Trimaster left such a smooth finish...yep, very cool.

Chuck

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Yep Chuck, hard to pass that deal up. Best price I've found is $235 for a Trimaster to fit my saw.

Well to continue the saga...I called the tech services line at Lennox and the tech strongly advised that I take the Trimaster to an authorized Lennox service center (Charlotte Saw) and have them do the job. He went on and on about how this blade was not meant to be brazed but should be welded and welded in an approved method with special bla, bla, bla. So for less than $10 and gas for a round trip to a rough section of Charlotte that's what I'm going to do. I will get the blade repair kit from Woodcraft for my regular blades though because that's just cooler'n heck to be able to do that.

IanSr008

New User
Ian
Got to Farris Belt and saw. The have all the latest equipment for sharpening and also welding band saw blades. They also have a ton of sandpaper. Table saw blades are .25 a tooth.

Farris Belt and saw
235 Foster Av.
Charlotte nc, 28203

704 527 6166
1 800 237 9917

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Sorry for not updating this but I ended up going to Farris Belt and Saw and after a return visit for a re-do I think they got it right. Nice people to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS