Another HF Gem

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Currently, I'm rehabing a set of steel hand rails at the lower pool at the Cary YMCA. They have rusted off at the concrete. I cut a section loose, dig out the old setting mix from hole in concrete (a real PITA!), then weld a stub back on to rail section. Next I strip the rail down to bare metal, also a PITA. Then I have to prime and first coat before setting back into concrete. Today, I used my HF 20oz, High Volume, Low Pressure, Gravity Feed Spray Gun (47016/67181) to spray primer using my twin stack oil less compressor. Primed using Rust-Olem rusty metal primer. I didn't need to thin primer, as it laid down beautifully, with very little over spray. For $15.99 (current price) I consider it a true HF Gem, but when it's on sale (usually with a coupon) for $9.99, it's a better gem! I put this thread here instead of finishing as several here have / are rehabing an older machine and will need to paint it.

Ben325e

New User
Ben
They also have a low volume low pressure (LVLP) gun with a 2.0 nozzle as opposed to the 1.4 that comes on the HVLP guns from there. But you're right, the spray guns from Harbor freight arent the best, but for the $$ they are amazing.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Currently, I'm rehabing a set of steel hand rails at the lower pool at the Cary YMCA. They have rusted off at the concrete. I cut a section loose, dig out the old setting mix from hole in concrete (a real PITA!), then weld a stub back on to rail section. Next I strip the rail down to bare metal, also a PITA. Then I have to prime and first coat before setting back into concrete. Today, I used my HF 20oz, High Volume, Low Pressure, Gravity Feed Spray Gun (47016/67181) to spray primer using my twin stack oil less compressor. Primed using Rust-Olem rusty metal primer. I didn't need to thin primer, as it laid down beautifully, with very little over spray. For $15.99 (current price) I consider it a true HF Gem, but when it's on sale (usually with a coupon) for $9.99, it's a better gem! I put this thread here instead of finishing as several here have / are rehabing an older machine and will need to paint it.

Bruce I picked one of those up a few years ago to spray some latex paint on wicker furniture. I figured what the heck it might be better than brushing and if it don't work I'll just toss it. Much to my surprise I've [strike]abused[/strike] used that poor gun alot and still works great today. Only one beef and that's the two little holes in the cap can get plugged easy, but will clean out easy too so it's a wash, nothings prefect.

This is the one I bought ---> http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-high-volume-low-pressure-gravity-feed-spray-gun-47016.html

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Jeff, does your gun have the 2.0 nozzle, or the 1.4? Mine has the 1.4 and I've had difficulty spraying latex. Everything else (oil based paint, varnish, lacquer, shellac, etc.) works just fine. I might try to find a 2.0 nozzle for mine.

Bill

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Jeff, does your gun have the 2.0 nozzle, or the 1.4? Mine has the 1.4 and I've had difficulty spraying latex. Everything else (oil based paint, varnish, lacquer, shellac, etc.) works just fine. I might try to find a 2.0 nozzle for mine.

Bill

1.4 but used water as a thinner and strained through a bug screen seems to work well.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member

Bill

Try the lvlp one for latex, worked well for me.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
In the past, when Hf had parking lot / black Friday sale these guns could be had for $9.99. Possibly this year also.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I could use another one or two :gar-Bi
Jeff, your request has been processed. HF January Blow out Sale , Jan 13,14, & 15 the guns will be on sale for $9.99. Try to find older stock (same stock #) as they have wrench and cleaning brush in the box. Older stock is in a slightly smaller box than newer ones. Raleigh store doesn't have any more older stock. Somebody bought the last two the last time I was in there:gar-Bi. I know nothing!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Jeff, your request has been processed. HF January Blow out Sale , Jan 13,14, & 15 the guns will be on sale for $9.99. Try to find older stock (same stock #) as they have wrench and cleaning brush in the box. Older stock is in a slightly smaller box than newer ones. Raleigh store doesn't have any more older stock. Somebody bought the last two the last time I was in there:gar-Bi. I know nothing!

Thanks for the info, I'll have to swing up there and pick a couple up. That brush really ain't worth much a pipe cleaner is better as for the wrench well... I lost mine a long time ago - I crescent works just as well.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Thanks for the note. I like to buy stuff from HF but on something like a spray gun, I probably wouldn't without a recommendation. Any comment on the size of the compressor you use to drive this?

Jim

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Thanks for the note. I like to buy stuff from HF but on something like a spray gun, I probably wouldn't without a recommendation. Any comment on the size of the compressor you use to drive this?

Jim
Because there is very little surface on a set of hand rails (unless you are doing them with a brush,) I use my portable (115V) oil less twin stack DeVilbis. Guns are rated for 6 CFM, 40 - 70 PSI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS