A post by Helmswatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I just sent a post by Helmswatch to moderation. In light of recent racial comments, his comment on having a wife from Mexico and threating to call INS on her if she disagreed with his tool purchases just sat wrong with me. I could be totally wrong, see what y'all think. If you disagree, please validate the post...I wasn't offended but I thought it wasn't appropriate for all.

Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
Obviously he was trying to be funny (he did put a smiley in the right place like Steve said!), but it was in bad taste. Whether it should be deleted, we'll see what the other mods think.

cskipper

Cathy
He is resonding with sarcasm. I would be happy to PM helmswatch. We chat fairly often. Let me know if you want me to.

clowman

Clay Lowman
To be completely honest.

Am I a politically correct person? No, not by a long shot.
Did I find it funny? Have to admit I did giggle a bit.
Do I think it's in bad taste? Yeah, I'd have to say I wouldn't say something like that in a public forum.

Personal opinions aside, I'd say we want this to be a place that is easy going, but offensive to nobody. I can see where someone could be offended, and I wouldn't want to drive away a single person with a desire to learn or teach at this site. What I would hate to see happen is a snowball effect.

I'd delete it.

cskipper

Cathy
I think I have handturnedbowls understanding that. Helmswatch doesn't, of course, know that. I agree it's very offensive (and yes, I chuckled too). As I said, he and I chat fairly often and I would be happy to smooth feathers and discourage this kind of post.

M

McRabbet

I'd agree that Cathy is the ideal person to smooth the waters on this one -- it can be resolved and we won't lose an otherwise appropriate new member. My .02 Rob

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I agree the post is in bad taste but we're also headed down a slippery slope of our own here. Clay, I'm sure you didn't intend this as broad as it sounds but we're right back to the thought police discussion. It would be impossible to put a group of people together anywhere and not offend someone. I'm not as concerned with driving individuals away as I am about driving away groups of people. I think that is a more reasonable standard. The humor of the site mixed with information is what has made it a source of knowledge, comraderie and entertainment. That is what has me logged in daily as opposed to when I have a specific question for a project.

clowman said:
I'd say we want this to be a place that is easy going, but offensive to nobody. I can see where someone could be offended, and I wouldn't want to drive away a single person with a desire to learn or teach at this site. What I would hate to see happen is a snowball effect.

I'd delete it.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well, I thought it to be a funny post. But I wasn't sure if it would offend others more sensitive to things like that. I've been known to post things in poor taste:slap: , so I am not always the best to judge, that's why I posted the question. To avoid looking like an overly conservative forum that jumps on every slightly off-color comment, I have validated the post back into circulation. Cathy, I would appreciate if you could take your friendly relationship with him and general eloquence in typing and just let him know that the post had been discussed by the moderators. Thanks,

cskipper

Cathy
So, should I put the t.i.t.s. post back? I had originally responded which I would also put back. Just let me know if you think I should.

Also - do you want me to contact Helmswatch or just let it go?

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Cathy, I wouldn't put the tits post back, although it was an attempt at humor, it even made me uncomfortable. I kept thinking that he could have come up with a better acronym. If you don't mind, I would appreciate if you, in general conversation with Helmsmith, mention that his post had been up for moderation, but was deemed acceptable... barely. I am sure that you will word it better than I.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
I think we are getting a little over-sensitive here folks. Helmswatch made a humorous comment about his own Hispanic wife. What is wrong with that? Now, had another member made this same type comment directed at Helmswatch's wife then yes, that would be inappropriate.

Let's not get carried away here folks.

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
cskipper said:
Also - do you want me to contact Helmswatch or just let it go?

Cathy, on second thought let's just let this one go. Don't worry about saying anything to him, unless he noticed that his post disappeared for a few hours, then tell him what happened to it.
Dave (prude in training:lol: :lol: ):)

cskipper

Cathy
Well, I chatted with Helmswatch and he says he never saw a questionable post. He says that Irene and he love the site.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
cskipper said:
Well, I chatted with Helmswatch and he says he never saw a questionable post. He says that Irene and he love the site.

So at great risk of having the SPCA busting down my door I am going to beat this dead horse just a tad bit more.:lol:

HW and his wife have not seen any questionable posts and they love the site! So, we are now back to who prompted Cad to post his apology post? My gut feeling is he posted it on his own accord.

OK..........I officially declare this horse dead! Next victim please.:lol:

D L

M

McRabbet

D L Ames said:
So at great risk of having the SPCA busting down my door I am going to beat this dead horse just a tad bit more.:lol:
OK..........I officially declare this horse dead! Next victim please.:lol:

D L

Okay, now you've got me upset :eusa_naug and all the other horse-loving folks in the world -- you not only relished in beating this poor horse that you thought had passed away, you went on to declare him/her dead without even consulting a vet! Tch tch.... And then begged for another poor critter to maim? You heartless brute!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
McRabbet said:
Okay, now you've got me upset :eusa_naug and all the other horse-loving folks in the world -- you not only relished in beating this poor horse that you thought had passed away, you went on to declare him/her dead without even consulting a vet! Tch tch.... And then begged for another poor critter to maim? You heartless brute!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vet? I don't need no stinking Vet! I had a clean shot right between the running lights and I took it. And as soon as I took it I immediately detected the distinct aroma of fresh Elmer's glue fill the air. I rest my case.:lol: :lol: :lol:

SteveColes

New User
Steve
D L Ames said:
I think we are getting a little over-sensitive here folks. Helmswatch made a humorous comment about his own Hispanic wife. What is wrong with that? Now, had another member made this same type comment directed at Helmswatch's wife then yes, that would be inappropriate.

Let's not get carried away here folks.

D L

DL, Ok but what about our other hispanic members. When they read that post, I doubt that they said, oh ok, it was his wife so that's OK? I doubt it.

SteveColes

New User
Steve
PM sent to Helmswatch

I'm sorry guys, I couldn't let that stand.
helmswatch said:
Ahoy there and welcome aboard! Ain't starting out woodworking great? I'm also a newbie and in the same position. Fortunately my wife agrees to to just about anything. The secret is to get them young and from Mexico. Anytime my Irene even looks like she wants to say no to a new tool or something, I just tell her I'm dialing 1-800-252-4INS! Ah oh!.....she's coming into the room. Gotta run! Good luck!
:lol:
Helmswatch, first let me apologize. I think you may be getting mixed signals about what's appropriate. I think that your post was made invisible while the moderators discussed it. I believe at some point you mentioned that your wife found it funny and wouldn't be offended. Around that point, the post was re-instated.

But I submit that while your wife may have found it unoffensive, there are other Hispanic members who probably would take offensive. I am sure my son-in-law would. (he is not a member of this site.)

There is another aspect to this, that I would like you consider. There people out there that would look at your post and say" well if he can say that about his wife then it is alright for me to say something similar." It is a slippery slope that I don't want to this site go down.

So, anyway, I would like to ask you to do me a favor. Would you please, delete the post.

Thanks for understanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS