6 large black walnuts just cut - need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMGaines06

New User
Mitch
Hey,

New here, looking for some advice on what to do with some black walnuts. We are building a house and after much debate and heartache we had to remove 6 of our black walnuts. Right now they are in full length, I had them cut and set aside yesterday. I am wanting to have a kitchen table made from it, a mantle, desk top and maybe some boards for inside walls. What should we do with the limbs? What is the minimum working size that can be discarded? What lengths should we cut the logs in 8-9ft? Are the stumps of any value? Sorry for all the questions, I love black walnuts and want to use as much as possible since I was forced to cut.

If anyone is interested in some of the wood please let me know, I can provide pictures.

Thank you,
Mitch Gaines
919-545-4599

SubGuy

New User
Zach
If you want to keep them and use for lumber, you better get them sawed soon and anchorseal the ends. Length depend on your sawyer and his capacity as well as your intended use. Also, if this is residential wood, it may have nails or other dubious metal objects that could cost you some extra money if you hit them. Me personally, I would pay for them to be sawed up.
Additionally, you have to think about drying. Do you intend on air drying or kiln drying? Air drying can take awhile (years) depending on the thickness sawed. I would probably saw it 8/4 if I were you except for the mantle piece, I would saw for desired thickness and look.
Bottom line is call a sawyer and figure out what you need to do. There are several on here with mobile mills and will tell you pretty much anything you need to know. Plus they will be able to advise on whether or not the lumber and logs are worth milling. Some you make think are, could possibly not be so.

walnutjerry

New User
Jerry
contact Scott Smith on this site for advise on using your logs. Scott can saw and dry the lumber for you. Do not know how close you are to him but it would be worth checking out.

Jerry

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Zach's advice is right on here. Contact one of the Sawyers in your area. There is a listing in our articles section. They can advise you how to get the most out of your bounty. As far as branches, some might be useful to carvers or turners or someone wanting to make some spoons out of them, but I wouldn't invest much energy in trying to preserve too much of that - it is going to be mostly sap wood and not the precious heartwood in Walnut.

As Zach mentioned, move quickly and don't leave these trees sitting too long on the ground. The sooner you get them milled and drying, either stacked and stickered to air dry of into a kiln the better. Try to avoid steaming them in a kiln - if using a kiln just use dry air - it will preserve the character of the wood.

Good luck. I love air dried Walnut - it has so much character.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
+1 to Scott Smith (scsmith42), he's in New Hill about 30 miles from you and has several mills and several kilns for drying. He does NOT use a steam dehumidification kiln so the lumber is not "washed out looking" and looks the same as air-dried BW.

Here's the link to Scott.

http://www.wpsawmill.com/index.php

Yes, we love pictures of a potential lumber stash to drool over. :eek:ccasion1

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
If you don't want to fight with them coming back - you best have the stumps and bigger roots dug up also.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Many thanks to all for the endorsements.

Mitch and I spoke a few weeks back. Hopefully things will go well for him with his project.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS