2024 September Monthly Contest - Creative Machine Bases - Winner Announced

All experienced Entries-Creative Machine Bases Sept 2024 Mo Contest Voting closes Oct 1

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Back to the shop. This month's contest is Creative Machine Bases. What unique system have your created to support a power tool or large human-powered woodworking device (e.g., treadle lathe stand). The head judge will take a liberal view of what constitute a base, OBTW, as long as you can demonstrate how it supports a tool in use.

This contest will end September 23. Voting will run the following week through September 30.

Rules:
-Must be created/completed within the last 120 months - here's a reason to gift/sell the old and build the new. And, I know these don't get built real often
-One submission per creator/artist per category (month)
-Each creator can win a contest no more than once every six months.
-Members vote for winners so your submittal 'marketing' post should reflect quality. Limited to 3 photos and 500 words. One post per submittal.
- Any Q&A regarding a submittal should be handled by separate post, or DM,PM. Expect questions to be deleted. Separate posts do not clutter the contest thread, avoids vote biasing, and everyone can share How's It Made (Resources forum content).
-In case of a tie, a judge panel will make the selection. Judges' decision is final. Judges will remain anonymous.
-Each monthly contest will have two winners, novice and experienced/journeyman/veteran/pro. Novice is defined as <3 years woodworking, cumulative. "Experienced" is all others. Submitters must indicate if they are novice; honor system applies. If you don't declare, you're an experienced woodworker.

Jack A.

Jack
User
I'll play...

The basic design of my router table is pretty standard, but my switch and electrical setup is not like any others that I've seen.

index.php

index.php
index.php

tghsmith

tghs
User
my tilting scroll saw base,, a reclaimed lab cabinet, added a base plate with casters, built the top ala shays lounge using a section of salvaged counter top,, the "workings" are from salvaged maple.. allows you to tilt the saw to give a better view angle of the work,, much easier on your neck!!!.. I think the only purchased items were the hinge and casters so to cost was under 20$

Attachments

• IMGP0302.JPG
    IMGP0302.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 127
  • IMGP0304.JPG
    IMGP0304.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 119
  • IMGP0305.JPG
    IMGP0305.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 132

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
I’ll play on this rainy morning:

Mobile midi lathe stand. The thick shelf at the bottom holds ~120# of sand for additional ballast. W/ the great lakes casters engaged, its rock solid. I don’t turn a lot, so having my modest collection of lathe accessories in 1 contained area that can be wheeled away is very helpful.

The design is ultimately a hodge-podge of various design elements I’ve seen over the years, but most of the “creativity” here came in the construction. I always challenge myself to use leftover/scrap material only on shop furniture, and not to buy anything new, (though I did have to go buy a few bags of sand in this case). This being the case, I designed the dimensions based on the materials/ sizes I had on hand. The legs are made from a leftover Doug fir 4x4 I had kicking around for a couple years, w/ pine stringers, and various 5/8 and 3/4 plywood offcuts making the drawer boxes/ case/ and shelf. The top is a lamination of 3/4 MDF and 1/2 ply, and I even had just enough leftover black Formica, a couple drawer slides and pulls, and the casters were from an old bandsaw project I ultimately went another way with. Always good to get new shop furniture, and clean out the offcut pile at the same time!

Attachments

• IMG_0686.jpeg
    IMG_0686.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0688.jpeg
    IMG_0688.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0687.jpeg
    IMG_0687.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bump.
Good stuff being posted. I suspect some of you are on the fence. Climb on over. Show us what you got. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Voting is back open. Voting will close 10/1/2024 at 7:35AM!

Sorry for asking all of you to revote. The site reset resulted in loss of data. Please select your favorite.

Thank you for the votes. Thank you for the entries.

Last edited:

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Congratulations to Neal Bowman. You selected him as the September 2024 Monthly Contest Winner.
I did not detect a novice entry this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS