2009 Lake Norman Area Shop Crawl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outa Square

New User
Al
I just spotted the beginning of a critical mass for a shop crawl in the Lake Norman Area. Robb Parker and TheSource stated that they would be open to hosting a crawl site.

Unfortunately I don't have a shop to show as of yet so i can't host a stop but I am willing to post a thread stating the that two individuals in the Lake Norman area are willing. [EVIL]EVIL[/EVIL]

I will be willing to assist in the logistics of putting one together but I would prefer some help. I also hope I am not stepping on any toes by doing this.

Here is a map of the general area, right now it could go in a variety of directions, depending on the participants.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=35.595344,-80.906754&spn=0.249579,0.672913&z=11
maps.google.com

Robb Parker

New User
Robb
Still game here. Rick (thesource) has a nice place, 30 min from me. Greg, you in on this?
Robb
Heritage Woodwright

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Sounds like a lot of fun!

Love to see the source too.

From another thread on Shop Crawls, we have the possiblity of the new Board of Directors setting up a Shop Crawl Committee. A number of folks are interested in serving to help coordinate these crawls.

We'll have more details after the Board meeting on 6/14.

Jim

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
I would love to get in on the crawl.I'm sure the fire marshall would have to control the crowd.As far as room,my shop would have to be before Robb's and Rick's or it would appear even smaller than it actually is.When are we looking to pull it off.
Greg

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm too far away to go to from LKN but not too far to come from for a crawl.

bluthart

New User
Brian
This may be the perfect reason to finish my work bench, clean my shop, organize it... what date are you doing this? December? I may be interested if anyone wants to see a very modest shop. Keep me "posted."

jamie

jamie
Senior User
Currently my shop isn't worth visiting in matthews, but if the timing is right I will venture up to LKN!

Outa Square

New User
Al
As far as dates, that is open to suggestion and availability of host.

With Rob Parker, TheSource, and Woodman2k; there is a pretty tight cluster. How many shops is enough?

Woodwrangler, where in Charlotte are you?

Bluhart, you might be too far out unless we have some folks out your way volunteer or down in denver host. You might not have to finish your bench.

I personally would rather have a handful of shops close together than drive a good distance between shops.

What do you guys think?

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
I'm up for attending but am too far away to host. By the way, even if you're shop is just a few tools in the back of a garage, I'd love to see it. It's not a contest - we all appreciate someone opening their doors to us regardless of what's inside.

I can't remember the number we've done before, but I think you want at least 5 for a crawl.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I'm up for attending but am too far away to host. By the way, even if you're shop is just a few tools in the back of a garage, I'd love to see it. It's not a contest - we all appreciate someone opening their doors to us regardless of what's inside.

I can't remember the number we've done before, but I think you want at least 5 for a crawl.

I'm in east Charlotte in what's referred to as the University area. I'm just throwing my place out in the event some of my "neighbors" -- Mark (Tarhead), Phillip (ptt49er), Fergy, etc -- decide to throw their name in the hat.

The driving isn't too much of an issue for me ... but reaching some economy would be nice. Maybe a pocket of shops, then one longer haul to hit another pocket of shops, would probably help get enough to make it worthwhile.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
If we get into the east side of Charlotte, come on by ;-)

I'm open for hosting and participating! It's only 1/2hr or 40 mins from my place to Cornelius/Huntersville.

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
I suppose we could get a list of willing hosts and then figure out how to break it into 2 or more crawls based on geography. I'm in Weddington.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I suppose we could get a list of willing hosts and then figure out how to break it into 2 or more crawls based on geography. I'm in Weddington.

That is the best way. If you get 3-4 (Like we have for LKN) then coaxing one or two others in the same area might work best. 5-6 shops works well with a lunch stop. So get out there and bother others.:rotflm:

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
WE need to get Steve Sanders on the list,he's just north of me on 801 and would be real convenient to get to.I thought there was somebody else out on 150 east or 152 east of Mooresville.That would be a nice compact travel day with a variety of shops to see.My neighbor has a 46' by 68' shop that he hardly uses.Now that's painfull to see.How about Kevin down in Davidson or Jim here in Mooresville.We have more than 6 shops up here in LKN/Mooresville.
Greg

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I promised Jeremy I would add my shop to the next crawl. I'm game if Concord isn't too far off the path otherwise I can wait for a Charlotte/Concord crawl.

mbolt512

New User
mbolt
As a relatively new member I've never been to a shop crawl, but I would love the chance to meet some other woodworkers and see some different shops. Can someone tell me how this normally works? Thanks

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Someone does the job as Cat Herder and organizes a route which includes a couple of shops, lunch and then a couple more shops. We meet at the first shop at the appointed time and carpool from there. (When 8 vehicles full of us showed up at Pete Mohr's place we convinced one of his surprized neighbors we were doing an intervention to help him with his sawdust problem:rotflm:) Last year's Charlotte crawl had 4 shops, lunch and then a 2 shops after lunch.
A long day but worth it.

timf67

New User
Tim
I am in south charlotte, so probably too far to host (plus my house/shop are under renovations) but I would love to participate

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
There is a Lake Norman Triathlon saturday 8/23. If we could do the crawl 8/24 I could participate in both that weekend? Hmm....:eusa_thin Could that work? It IS a Sunday though....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS