1/4" Baltic Birch plywood?

NCJim

Jim
User
Where can I buy 1/4" and 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood? I live in Asheboro and just want to buy a 2'x4' or 4'x4' sheets locality with-in a up to a 20 miles radius of Asheboro.
Also what is the difference of birch plywood and Baltic Birch plywood? I see Lowes and Home Depot have Birch plywood.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Jim - Are there any lumber yards or hardwood dealers in your area? (I'm in Raleigh). I get BB at a local yard that carries sheet goods, hardwoods, and building supplies/lumber. Try to find a place like 84 Lumber or a local yard.
Your desire to get 2x4 or 4x4 sheets might be an issue. Woodworking stores may carry these cut down (partial) sheet sizes (Klingspors?, Woodcraft, Rockler etc), but the places I mentioned earlier will likely carry 4x8 sheets or larger (sometimes 5x5 for BB). Many will do 1 cut for you free, but you are likely buying the whole sheet.

And of course asking here is a great first step, I just can't answer the Asheboro specific question.

Last edited:

Jack A.

Jack
User
Also what is the difference of birch plywood and Baltic Birch plywood? I see Lowes and Home Depot have Birch plywood.

"Birch" plywood just means that the (potentially very thin) outer veneer is birch. The inner plies can be anything.

The benefit of "Baltic Birch" or equivalent is that the plies are all of uniform thickness and material with minimal voids. This is helpful for building structures.

For an example of the former, take a look at an edge of the "birch" plywood I got for shop cabinets:

PXL_20231030_234310898.jpg

The outer birch ply is only about 1/64" thick. The inner plies are who-knows-what wood. They're inconsistent and have a fair number of voids.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
I share a similar problem of not being able to purchase Baltic birch plywood locally. I'm in Huntsville, AL, and haven't found a local source in the area. So, I purchase by mail order. I've had good success ordering cut down panels from Woodworkers Source. For small projects, shop fixtures, etc., the precut packs they sell have worked out well and the quality is good.

NCJim

Jim
User
Jim - Are there any lumber yards or hardwood dealers in your area? (I'm in Raleigh). I get BB at a local yard that carries sheet goods, hardwoods, and building supplies/lumber. Try to find a place like 84 Lumber or a local yard.
Your desire to get 2x4 or 4x4 sheets might be an issue. Woodworking stores may carry these cut down (partial) sheet sizes (Klingspors?, Woodcraft, Rockler etc), but the places I mentioned earlier will likely carry 4x8 sheets or larger (sometimes 5x5 for BB). Many will do 1 cut for you free, but you are likely buying the whole sheet.

And of course asking here is a great first step, I just can't answer the Asheboro specific question.
Thank you

bphaynes

Parker
Corporate Member
I've gotten 1/4 in BB from Steve Wall, which is a bit of a drive for you, but you could always do a hardwood run as well. They also have prefinished 1/4in, but it is not BB and not great quality (the veneer is very very thin).

NCJim

Jim
User
I've gotten 1/4 in BB from Steve Wall, which is a bit of a drive for you, but you could always do a hardwood run as well. They also have prefinished 1/4in, but it is not BB and not great quality (the veneer is very very thin).
Sorry, who is Steve Wall?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Thank you. Colfax isn't that far from me.
Buut.... I don't expect Horizon Forest products will be selling partial sheets - right? So you might need a way to transport large sheets, or a means to break down into partial sheets before transport.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
The advantage of Baltic Birch plywood is shown in these two examples. Thick layers and no voids
. IMG_0058.jpegIMG_0055.jpeg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS