Your Best Nifty Shop Tip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

New User
Rob
I saw this on Sawmill Creek and thought it was a neat idea. If we get a good response we can consolidate the posts into a sticky or shopnote. I'll start

Problem: Glue cures on brush during large glue ups, between moving stuff and assembly.

Solution: I usually use an acid brush, to prevent the glue on the brush from curing, I use one of those glad disposable containers, cut a small hole in the lid, fill with water about 1", then I stick my brush in it until I'm ready to use it again. Keeps my brush off of things I don't want glue on, and fresh for more glue.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Best sanding sitter for the money! And yes, I have a store bought one...wanna but it?

SandingSitter.jpg

View image in gallery

Actually, I use a worn out sandpaper disk instead of the crepe rubber disc now.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Best sanding sitter for the money! And yes, I have a store bought one...wanna but it?

Actually, I use a worn out sandpaper disk instead of the crepe rubber disc now.

and the same coffee can lids make a great surface to mix epoxy. Once the left over epoxy dries you can flex the plastic and remove the old epoxy so it is ready to reuse.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
If you work in a garage with an overhead garage door opener, put a dual light bulb "Y in the socket and put 2, 100 (or 150 if you have extra cash) watt CFLs. Instead of 2, 60 watt bulbs I now have 4 X100 watt equivalent and use less power. Make sure the door stops before the CFLs.

Double_100_watt_CFLs_in_a_60_watt_bulb_socket.jpg

While you're up there, if you use Florescent tube Shop light fixtures, clean the top of your tubes. They collect lots of fine sawdust and can be made much brighter with a little effort.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Stretch film is a great clamp to use in glue ups, especially odd shaped ones. No adhesive, non marring, holds very well, cheap.

If you have wider rolls, they can be cut down with a good sharp bandsaw blade. A good width to cut them down to is 3"-5".

BTW, if anyone needs some, I have a bunch of samples I can ship to you for the asking! PM me with your address & I'll get it headed your way.

Last edited:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
If you are anything like me, I ended up doing a lot of sanding to remove pencil lines/marks on a project prior to finishing.

No more!

Just wet a paper towel or rag with denatured alcohol and the pencil marks wipe right off with no residue.:icon_thum:icon_thum

Works for me!

Wayne

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
join ncww and your woodworking local club.

ok not really a tip but the most helpful thing i've ever done.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The best, and most important, tool in your shop is between your ears. Be sure to turn it on before doing anything else. And when it turns itself off, get out of the shop.

Bill

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
The best, and most important, tool in your shop is between your ears. Be sure to turn it on before doing anything else. And when it turns itself off, get out of the shop.

Bill

My switch broke years ago. I should probably get that fixed. :nah:

Glennbear

Glenn
I did some creative plumbing when adding a reserve tank to my air system. I used a HF hose whip and it did not last long. Big box store whips are pricey with no guarantee of longer life. For this type of connection I now use hydraulic hoses from Tractor Supply. Same size fittings available all the way up to 1/2" IPT and no danger of bursting at shop air pressures and IMHO well worth the additional initial cost. :wsmile:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
About those Acid Brushes for spreading glue.

They work better if you cut off about 1/4" of the bristles with a pair of scissors or sharp chisel.

- Ken.

stave

New User
stave
For some of my lamination work I will but wax paper around the form. When the lamination strips are clamped into place and the glue squeezes out the wax paper keeps the laminationst from being glued to my form or to the form base.

Stave

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
About those Acid Brushes for spreading glue.

They work better if you cut off about 1/4" of the bristles with a pair of scissors or sharp chisel.

- Ken.
Or, even easier, take a small piece of masking tape and tape it around the base of the bristles, leaving about 3/8" of the bristles exposed. I think I saw this on Woodworks. It helps keep the brush nice and stiff.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I was posting on another thread when I remembered this:

When using a hole saw, run it in until it cuts an outline. Back out and drill 2-3 smaller holes inside the outline, cut the hole out and the waste will be easier to get out of the hole saw.

KC7CN

New User
Don
Or, even easier, take a small piece of masking tape and tape it around the base of the bristles, leaving about 3/8" of the bristles exposed. I think I saw this on Woodworks. It helps keep the brush nice and stiff.

I need to try this! Maybe the tape will prevent loose bristles from falling out of the brush!

zapdafish

New User
Steve
image_17964.jpg

I love using this as a glue spreader, put a bead down and just wipe. Works great for larger surfaces too where a roller might be too big.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Some years back the issue of glue spreading came up & it was suggested that a piece of threaded rod be used. It was also suggested that an old credit card would work. Since PVA glue is so acidic, I suggested a merger of the 2 ideas. Heat up the threaded rod and lay the edge of the credit card against it to create a serrated spreader.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Plastic or glass instant coffee jars make good finish containers as they are made to seal very tightly to keep the coffee fresh.

I expect a lot of other used containers work as well, but I find the ones I have are very nice size and work well for the purpose.

- Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS