You-Tube made me feel better

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I was trying to get my Freud carving tools into workable condition. They were terrible out of the box, so they have been sitting around for about 25 years. I'm doing pretty well except for the V-gouge. Just could not get symetrical edges, square and no peak. Well, thanks to a video, I flattened it again and sure enough, the two sides are not consistent angles inside to outside. Maybe I can grind it evenly and then try to grind in the bevels, and maybe I should do as the video suggests, toss it and get a decent tool! Gouges were all ground too steep, but that I can fix. Getting the insides smooth was a royal pain. I have seen better factory grinding at Harbor Freight.

Another video explained what I was doing wrong sharpening my lathe gouges.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
OK, several sources suggest most of the European gouges are similar in quality.
The brands I have identified are as so , with prices for a V gouge running $50 to $70. Any comments on brands would be welcome. Probably a 60 degree around 10mm but advice on that is also welcome.

Stubai, Henery Taylor, Ashley Iles, Auriou, Hirsh, Two Cherries, Pheil, Narex, Dastra, Stryl.
And then the Japanese chisels.

I have only found Henery Taylor sans handles, and Narex in sets.

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Scott, vee tools are on of the hardest carving tools to sharpen correctly. You cannot go wrong with Pfeil (aka Swiss Made) tools, the tool will arrive properly sharpened. Two Cherries, Dasta, Stubai and Ashley IIes are all fine tools also, not as easy to source as Pfeil, also many of those tools do not arrive properly sharpened..

Last edited:

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
I agree that Pfeil carving tools are the best you can find easily. There may be other carving tools as good, but I doubt you will find better ones anywhere.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I found an Ashley Iles at the MWTCA meet for $20 SCORE! Not ground correctly, but confident it is a good tool where my Freud is not.
But now I know what to look for as I figure out which ones I use. Much thanks.

I do like my Narlex Rictor that came within a strop of ready to use. My old (real) Marples bench chisels are fine, but now I am spoiled with the one 1/2 inch and I want more. My excuse is to then regrind the Marples to super low angle for soft wood.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS