You guys choose for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Okay, I have $1000.00 coming back from the IRS. I NEED a bandsaw. I have narrowed it down to two choices:

The Rikon 14" @ 749.99 or the Grizzly 14" G0555 @ $511.50 with freight.

Getting the Grizzly would allow me to purchase some decent hardwood for some projects I have in mind and maybe even find a used midi lathe/ :) (Dark side here I come!)

So, you guys tell me...I want this thing to last...it will be my only BS for years, I am sure.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
I haven't used the Grizzly but I do own the Rikon 14" Deluxe. When I purchased it I feared that I might have buyers remorse, since it was by far the most expensive tool I'd bought.
That hasn't been the case. It is a well built quality machine that I expect to be the last BS I'll purchase. The 13" resaw capability is sweet, and the motor has enough power to tackle the job.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
I think it depends on what you want out of the saw.

I have the G0555, and I really like it allot. I use it almost every time I'm in the shop. If you plan to do big resawing, I would recommend the Rikon only because it has the larger motor. At 1hp the Griz is a little under powered. The tension spring on the Griz also seems a little weak. I plan to upgrade mine to a stiffer spring when I can. With that said, I still like my Griz. I haven't done much resawing so it hasn't been a big limitation for me. For general curves, and lite resawing I don't think you can go wrong with the Griz. Assembly is a breeze you can view my post on assembly:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f35/grizzly-g0555-bandsaw-assembly-16416/

You asked, so thats JMTCW

SRhody

New User
Stacey
I agree with Ken. A couple months back, I went from a 9" bench top to the Rigid Deluxe, but worried about the machine and all the 'recommeded' upgrades to get it where I wanted. Just about everything you'd upgrade on the Griz is already standard on the Rigid. I haven't had cause to resaw at 13, but have done 8-9" in oak/walnut and didn't have any issues. Great customer serivice, a small part was missing, call the company was in the mail that day no cost no questions.

M

McRabbet

I also have the Grizzly G0555, but if I were buying one again, I'd get the G0555X which has a larger motor (1-1/2 HP) and a solid cabinet base. But, like the the Rikon, it has limited resaw capacity without a riser. The best bang for your buck would be the larger Grizzly G0513X2, a 17" saw with 2 HP motor, 12" resaw capacity and still under $1,000.

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
I am a big fan of buying used. If you are patient and take your time you will find a great saw at a reasonable, sometimes very modest price. I haunt all the usual places, EBay, CL, here, etc. I found my BS through CL. It was a $1300 saw with all the bells and whistles. Two years old, some wear and tear but not a lot, dropped off on my door for half the cost new. For me, the fun is in the hunt. But I too have had an itch and just had to scratch it, so I know how you feel.

If you do decide to shop for used this site almost always has eagle eyes that can help you find things you would not otherwise see, look under the Found For Sale / Hot Deals forum. Best of luck in your shopping ...

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
That's what I like about this site. Once in a while you get to help someone else spend their money! :eusa_danc Whatever you choose, be sure you'll be able to get the blades you need readily. A local retailer might be the way to go on a purchase for that reason. And keep a spare on hand. A stray nail can mess up your day real quick on a BS. if you plan to do resawing you might look into a unit that will take carbide tipped blades. Not sure which of those suggested do.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Can't give any professional input here , but I do have the Rikon and I am very very happy with it :icon_thum I do resaw at 12" + and it has tackled everything I have thrown at it . Assembly was a bit of a PITA ....especially if ya got big hands like me :BangHead:
FredP came over and tuned mine up and it works like a charm
Being the only new saw I have ever owned I can't speak to the pros and cons compared to other saws ......only that it has done a fine job for a rookie like me :icon_thum

tommyt654

New User
tommyt654
Perhaps you should check out the irsauctions.com website. They have several Bandsaw,s up for auction. Make sure you look at the one in west Jefferson, it had a nice Bandsaw up for auction.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
There's an 18" Jet for sale in the Fayetteville area trade paper for $1000... I think that is a little rich, but the seller may take other offers?

18" Jet Woodworking bandsaw. Model # JWBS-18. Stock #708750B. 1 1/2 hp 115v. Like new condition. Used very little. $1000. 910-874-0337/910-862-2887

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
My thinking follows the same path as Matt's: if you think you will be doing some heavy duty resawing, get the Rikon.

If you don't think you'll need the extra oomph, you cannot go wrong with the G0555. Then you have money left over to buy more wood. YMMV

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have the G0555 and am very happy with it. I would like a larger re-saw capacity, but I doubt I would use it as I only have a 6" jointer, so 6" is all that I can resaw in practice. I have had bowl blanks thicker than 6" that I wished to trim the corners off of, and the extra capacity would have came in handy then.

Dave:)

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Bwwaaahhhh...you guys are great! OKay, now for the Rikon lovers out there, the idea is to NOT spend all my cash in one place. BUT, I do make more money! :) It just never gets to me in such a nice lump sum. My GF has given the okay on a 14", so it has to be a 14". Don't think I didn't see that 17" Griz and go...hmmmm...naw, better not push it. :sad11:

Anyway, I think I might just go with the...the...oh crud! I still don't know, but I do know that I can certainly count on you guys for the best advice. :notworthy:

The Rikon is just so sexy. It makes me feel like I am on my way to becoming a much better woodwerker than I am now. :roll:
I won't be doing any resawing for a while, but I know I will need to later on. I see that the G0555X comes with a resaw fence. That's a plus. I didn't see fence well enough, but can someone tell me if it has a micro adjuster. (Just like a girl to want this feature!)

The IRS shells out the bucks on or before the 13th of Feb. So I have a few days.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
I see that the G0555X comes with a resaw fence. That's a plus. I didn't see fence well enough, but can someone tell me if it has a micro adjuster. (Just like a girl to want this feature!)

I have a 17" Rikon and it's a fine machine. However, regarding resawing and a micro-adjuster, that's sort of like wanting a Bies fence for your Stihl chainsaw. Even tuned up and with the full roller guides, the Rikon (as does every bandsaw) still has a bit of a drift problem, and that changes from blade to blade.

I just resawed a couple of cypress blanks to glue up some table legs, and instead of messing with the fence, I scribed the centerline with a marking gauge, highlighted it with pencil, and drove the boards through. Last time I tried fence resawing the blade blew out halfway through the cherry, cause I was intent on watching the fence/board action and ignored the blade.

I vote :thumbs_up:thumbs_up for the Rikon, and have nothing ill to say for the Griz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS