Yet More Cutting Boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
(Many thanks to DaveO for his tutorial for his boards, which inspired me to try these.) :icon_thum

Or, since these are long grain instead of end grain, cheese/serving boards.

Glue up 2 (or more, an even number) of contrasting woods to have blanks about 12" by 15". After the glue dries, sand/scrape/plane the blanks kinda smooth and rip and crosscut to make them the same size.

Stack them on each other and use plenty of blue painters tape to hold them together. Mark a center line down the length of the top blank. Mark a spot about 2" in from each end on the CL and another mark about 4" in. Use a compass set to about (this is up to you, the radius determines the 'sweep' of the cresents) 8" for a 15" wide blank. Draw an arc across the blank. Move the point of the compass to the other mark and draw another arc. Do the same for the other end.

Pencil a line or triangle on the top piece to keep the pieces in order after they are cut.

Go to the bandsaw and carefully cut out the cresents, more tape will be necessary as they are cut out. Lay the pieces aside in order as they are cut.

Take the pieces to your assembly table and bring the cresents from one layer to the end and center piece of the other layer. Be careful not to flip any pieces.

Rip 4, 1/16" pieces (for each board)of another contrasting wood to be inserted on the outside of each cresent.

Glue and clamp the pieces together (clamping is a little of a hassle. too much pressure makes the cresents and 1/16" trim want to slide out of alignment).

When dry, scrape/sand, etc. Round over top and bottom, and apply mineral oil. These have mineral oil and beeswax.

Going to try a couple with V's laid in like chevrons next.

Walnut_Oak Cutting Boards.jpg

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Great looking cutting/cheese boards. :eusa_clap I like the way this forum inspires people to create new things.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow, Ken, that's a cool looking design and is very well executed. Thanks for the clear instructions!

Chuck

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Awesome, I love them. I had never thought of doing something other than a squiggle. I'll have to borrow that idea soon.
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS