Yet another Wood ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

rybo

New User
rybo
I got a bunch of wood from my grandfather recently. Mostly walnut, with some curly maple sprinkled throughout. I started making my sister a jewelry box for Christmas (my first dovetail project), and thought I was using pieces of walnut. I've started to wonder whether I'm wrong about it being walnut - it doesn't have the same grain patterns as my other walnut, the color is lighter and with oil on, it almost has a shine to it that I haven't seen in walnut before. I can't tell, but I think it might also have a dark reddish tint. The light in this pic is a little deceiving because the light glare makes it look really red.

Anyway, I'd love to be able to actually tell her what it is when I give it to her. Thanks in advance for the info!

Here are before/after oil pics.

photo (9).jpg
photo.jpg

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
You said the walnut from your grandfather doesn't look like the walnut you've used before. Did you purchase the previous walnut from a store? If so, it was most likely kiln dried. And if your grandfather gave you walnut he had cut, it was probably air dried. There is a difference in color between air dried and kiln dried walnut.

Also, where did the walnut from your grandfather come from? Was it from around here (the Southeast U.S.) or was it from the upper Midwest? I'm not extremely knowledgeable on Butternut, but I think it is more prevalent further north than it is here. Someone else will know more about that than I do.

Bill

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
A KEY indicator of Butternut is its weight, so if it feels significantly lighter than most other hardwoods - given its appearance, which we've already seen - you can bet it's Butternut.

rybo

New User
rybo
A KEY indicator of Butternut is its weight, so if it feels significantly lighter than most other hardwoods - given its appearance, which we've already seen - you can bet it's Butternut.

Yes, I did notice that. The wood is much, much lighter than the other pieces of walnut I have

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
A key thing to remember is that walnut will lighten in color as oxidation occurs. It will continue to lighten as time goes by. When I built my secretary, I tried to bring along the bottom section and the top at the same time so the oxidation would be about the same. Proved to work as the two sections blend nicely. Never used butternut or chestnut so no help there.

Mike

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A key thing to remember is that walnut will lighten in color as oxidation occurs. It will continue to lighten as time goes by. When I built my secretary, I tried to bring along the bottom section and the top at the same time so the oxidation would be about the same. Proved to work as the two sections blend nicely. Never used butternut or chestnut so no help there.

Mike

Did you intend to say that walnut will "darken in color as oxidation occurs"? The hydrojuglone in the wood is colorless, but upon exposure to oxygen it's oxidized to juglone which gives the wood its characteristic reddish-brown color. Just curious. :confused:

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
No, it is my understanding that walnut is one species that will lighten in color over time. Unlike cherry which darkens.

mike

LittleJohn_NC

New User
John
rybo
I got one 10 inch by 3/4 inch x 8 foot long board left over . If you want it let me know.
I'll bring it to work with me at Marshville you can pick it up there .........JM

rybo

New User
rybo
rybo
I got one 10 inch by 3/4 inch x 8 foot long board left over . If you want it let me know.
I'll bring it to work with me at Marshville you can pick it up there .........JM

Saw this a bit late. I'm in Charlotte and we've got plans this weekend so I wouldn't be able to get away. Thanks so much for the offer though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS