yet another Bailey ID ?

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I was given a #6 and a #7 that I will be using once I clean and tune them up.
My question is really a matter of curiosity as looking at the previously linked descriptions and a Type Study link I’ve had for a while I can’t pin these down. They are clearly 1930’s or later and one appears to be wartime with painted knob and tote. Probably have some miss matched parts, the adjusting nut on the “wartime” plane has diagonal knurling which hadn’t appeared yet. I don’t think.

What’s really odd is the casting themselves don’t seem to match the descriptions I have found. Both have “Bailey” cast at the toe with the size No behind the tote, and “Made in USA” between the knob and the cross rib. both have the “receiver” ring around the base of the knob.
Is that all just typical for planes in this size range?

The #7 also has this “Y” arrangement under the frog, rather than the straight central rib. I haven’t seen any description like this. Any insights? Thanks

image.jpg

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
Mine is a Bailey No. 5. But the adjustment knob appears to be a plastic? Maybe like a bakelite?

Description of the sole is similar to yours with the placement of the "Bailey", "Made in USA ", and "No. 5".

The "Y" arrangement under the frog is very similar to yours.

From the descriptions given elsewhere, the sole matches a #5 at 14" long. The cutter however is 1¾" rather than 2. Maybe a replacement?

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
these are cleaning up nicer than I anticipated. Blades and chip breakers are the worst parts, easily remedied. One blade has a nice nick in it but plenty of length to work that out.
Another detail I found that surprised me- some of the small part of the #7 are blued. Seemed odd.

also both lever caps look mismatched. The #7 is marked with an 8 on the inside and the #6 is marked with a 5. Those should match the plane size, no?

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Mine is a Bailey No. 5. But the adjustment knob appears to be a plastic? Maybe like a bakelite?

Description of the sole is similar to yours with the placement of the "Bailey", "Made in USA ", and "No. 5".

The "Y" arrangement under the frog is very similar to yours.

From the descriptions given elsewhere, the sole matches a #5 at 14" long. The cutter however is 1¾" rather than 2. Maybe a replacement?
This type study mentions some knobs being hard rubber during the WWII years. Type 17
Stanley Type 17
Is it 1-1/4” dia knob? That would be the “normal size” he refers to.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
also both lever caps look mismatched. The #7 is marked with an 8 on the inside and the #6 is marked with a 5. Those should match the plane size, no?
Those are foundry/casting marks. Everything except for the body is interchangeable between the #6 & #7 (and later #5½)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS