Yes, But Is It Fine Woodworking?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
For many years now, I have wanted to build an attractive gateway at the beginning of my driveway to my house. I finally broke down this summer and completed the project.
DSCN00371.JPG

DSCN0035.JPG

Just for your information, my house is 1/2 mile further down the driveway back in the woods where I like it.

The question now is "Is this fine woodworking?" Lets examine this.

1. As I said, I have been wanting to do this for a number of years and have now completed it. I like the results so I would say that I am FINE with it.
2. It is WOOD, good ole pressure treated southern yellow pine.
3. I am 65 years old and am stubborn to a fault when asking for help. I almost always work alone, as I did on this project. The four fixed panels and two gate panels are 4'x9' and use seven 12' 2x4s to make. They were cut and assembled in my basement shop and hauled out to the end of the driveway. They are heavy, bulky and somewhat difficult to handle, especially by yourself. The two gate post are 10' 6x6s in the ground 3'. The four fixed panel post are 8' 6x6s also in the ground 3'. For those of you who have had the "pleasure" of digging post holes in hard southern clay with two handle manual post hole diggers, you are aware of how quickly the "fun" wears off of that tool, especially when digging down 3'. That is precisely why I used a tractor mounted, pto driven auger to dig these holes. Hey, Mama may have raised a fool, but she didn't raise an idiot. (clarification; there are a number of people who would probably challenge the last part of that sentence). In any event, while this was a fun project it was a lot of work, especially in late July and early August. To sum up, I was WORKING my tail off assembling the panels and completing this installation.

So there you have it, FINE WOOD WORKING! Yes, I win. I just wish my wife would let me have a cold beer now.

Rob

bash

New User
bash
I like that long gravel driveway, and the gateway is a great addition. It sounds like you enjoyed building, installing, and now having it. Life is fine.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
+2 to a good job, particularly in the July/August heat and humidity. :eek:ccasion1

Do you have a few close up pictures of the panels and gates? How'd you hang the gates to the posts?

Last edited:

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
Love it! And agree with your assessment on FINE WOOD WORKING. My driveway is only a little over 100 yards, but I too enjoy the relative isolation. In fact, at first glance it could be my place. This just may serve as some inspiration to do something similar. LOML and I have been mulling it over for a few years now. Agree with Jeff. How about some close ups.

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
Thanks to everyone who looked and commented. There were a couple of request and questions and I'll try to answer them.
DSCN00412.JPG

DSCN00442.JPG

Here are two close ups of the panels or at least the best I can do. Each panel consist of 29 pieces; upper and lower rails, five uprights, and 22 various diagonals. The uprights are attached to the rails with 3 1/2" #12 stainless steel screws (McFeelys, not cheap). The diagonals are attached with 16d ring shank stainless steel nails (also McFeelys, also not cheap) using a nail gun. Since each panel is the same size, once you get the length of each piece established, it is not a problem to set up a stop on your saw and cut all of one size at the same time.
DSCN0043.JPG

The outside uprights of the gates are extended to rest on the floor of the driveway. That way when the gate is closed, the weight of the gate is on the outside upright and not on the hinges and gate post. The hinges I used are regular strap hinges and screw post that I got at Tractor Supply.
DSCN00421.JPG

When the gates are open, which is most of the time, they are latched to these 4x4 post with a screen door hook. Also there is a block attached to the post at the bottom of the gate for the gate to rest on so that, again, the weight of the gate is on the block and not the gate post and hinges.

Again thanks for looking! Rob

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'd say it looks fine as can be, if I get over your way I'll bring you some beer and not tell your spouse. :gar-Bi

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
A very nice job, and I would call it "Fine Woodworking".

For me, I would be inclined to make at least the frame of the gates out of steel to reduce the chance of sagging, and I would have drilled the two gate post holes another foot deeper and filled these holes with concrete, but that's just me, because I like to overbuild things to make them last longer than me so I don't have to ever fix or replace them.

Are you planning to stain your new fence and gates or just let them Weather to a gray color? Please post another set of pictures if you stain them.

Charley

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Looks great to me. I think one of the things I have had to learn is to apply standards that are appropriate for the task at hand. I sand furniture to 220 grit, for instance. But I just refinished some stair treads and only sanded to 150. The flooring guys that refinished the floors only sanded to 80 grit. I couldn't do that but stopped short of my normal 220. I have been tempted to apply wood tolerances to hanging drywall but that did not work well for me.

I said all that to say I think it is fine woodworking. The project had different tolerances (or it would have if I'd done it) but that is part of learning to do this hobby well.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member

Rob I had to put 66 of these 10' posts in the ground 24" deep. concrete, connect and 16 picketts in each bay lattice top plate 66 times. Gates x 6. I had an advantage: I was 61 when my son told me to speed it up. My muscles were still sore from the shingle job on that 12/12 pitch in the background.

It ain't FWW but its done.

I like your fence and gates.

fence_league_021.JPG

fence_league_037.JPG

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
If it's woodworking and it looks fine, it's fine woodworking.

Posted and then saw Bruce's response, so ditto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS