Yellow wood

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I think this might be Mulberry but not sure. Anyone know what it might be? It is very heavy and dense. Log Still wet after being cut couple years back.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would have said Osage Orange but that doesn't typically grow around here. It is a very dense wood.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
It's white mulberry. The wood is photoreactive and will darken to a chocolate brown. It's hard, doesn't seem to split easily, and will never rot. I've use it for mallets, tool handles, and some parts on my boat.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Apparently mulberry and locust look similar and have similar properties. They can be differentiated under a black light (see the video).

Mulberry pics and a comment about the yellow color.

bowl with color that does not appear real --- it's just TOO neon yellow

Locust pics.

bowl that pretty much HAS to be black locust, although not specificially identified as such (just locust)

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Apparently mulberry and locust look similar and have similar properties. They can be differentiated under a black light (see the video).

Mulberry pics and a comment about the yellow color.

bowl with color that does not appear real --- it's just TOO neon yellow

Locust pics.

bowl that pretty much HAS to be black locust, although not specificially identified as such (just locust)

Not sure this helps much. Mulberry on Locust without a finish.

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
Osage Orange does grow around here, but this is the Southern limit. There is a large tree in Pittsboro on the corner next to the Pizza shop just up from the Woodwright's School. The fruit is the size of small bowling balls, and I seldom resist the temptation to "bowl" one down the side street there which has a long slow slope! Mulberry is common here and looks a lot like Osage Orange. The leaves are slightly different. I believe the two are from the same genus, but different species. The mulberry is a bit more reddish, especially when just cut.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
I picked up some osage orange that was cut for firewood from a Maryland roadside a few years back. It had a similar color when I turned pens; it took a long time to dry out enough to work with. Only got 2 logs, the LOML was scolding me for running across traffic to get them!

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Osage Orange is looking like a better choice. Lots of yellow heartwood in your picture and the bark is a close match to this one in Durham county.

Osage-Orange (Maclura pomifera) bark
Bark of a large tree.
Durham Co., NC 10/3/09.
Wow never thought of it as being the Osage Orange with all of that yellow

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
This is a not very good picture of some Osage Orange blanks ready to turn into bowls. They chip easily - somewhat brittle wood. Sorry for the poor picture quality.

I got the blanks at Klingspor in Raleigh a few years ago.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS