Yard Sale Find...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dullblade

New User
Roger Hunter
I found this in a box of other tools at a yard sale this morning. It says Stanley on the blade and Bailey, N0.4 on the front under the knob. The finish is rough on the wood but no cracks and the metal has surface rust. Blade very sharp, draws blood. I bought the whole box for $3.00 and it included a tape measure with the fold out crank handle. The case of the measure is leather like. Also in the box was lathing tools and chisels. There was also an old leather malot and a hammer with leather handle.
Any idea how old the planer is? Thanks.:icon_thum

Attachments

• Planer 004.jpg
    Planer 004.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 281
  • Planer 006.jpg
    Planer 006.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 283
  • Planer 005.jpg
    Planer 005.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 277
  • Planer 001.jpg
    Planer 001.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 282

Dullblade

New User
Roger Hunter
Yea, I hope it will clean up. I do not really know where to start. Do I steel wool the metal, strip the wood? What finish should I use? That type of stuff. Never done one before.:?:

Monty

New User
Monty
Dullblade said:
Any idea how old the planer is?
First and foremost... YOU SUCK!!! :lol:

Now that that's out of the way, let's see... :eusa_thin no patent date, kidney-shaped hole on the lever cap, ogee-shaped profile on the frog, these are all signs of a post-SW era plane (ie, type 16+). There are no signs of WWII-era features (so that eliminates type 17). IIRC the type 18's had black painted totes (although I may be wrong on that), and the type 19+ have a Y-shaped frog receiver in the bed. Can't tell about the frog receiver from the pics (take the frog off, you can tell quickly if it looks like a "Y" where the frog joins the base). Assuming you have the older style frog receiver, then I'm going to call this one a type 16 (1933-1941).

Nice grab... how about them other goodies in the box???

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
PUBLIC NOTICE:

The above post submitted by Insom was crafted after input provided by me following my painstaking research.

Great score Roger...........oh yeah............YOU SUCK!:lol:

D L

sapwood

New User
Roger
Nice haul, Roger!

Apparently you are a Hunter and a Finder. We'd love to see pixs of the other stuff.

Sapwood

Dullblade

New User
Roger Hunter
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=2078&c=310

See this link to my gallery: I took this photo to show some more of that yard sale box. The leather mallot is rotten and it broke when I tapped on a board today. The hammer is at my dads so he can rehydrate the leather. It was real dry and I was afraid it will crack. Anyway this photo is the only other worthwhile things in the box. That is a Delta blade but it has 2 teeth that are chipped. The rest are very sharp still. Can it still be used? Then there are the hole saw bit that is changable. The level is aluminum and may not be that old. The other thing is a center finder I think, can you confirm that for me. If it is not it shure does a great job as one.:eusa_whis
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=2078&c=310

Monty

New User
Monty
Yep, that's a center finder. I'll bet it came with a set of interchangeable heads, like this:

3475.jpg

Too bad you don't have the other heads. Is there a manufacturer's stamp anywhere on it? It doesn't look like a Starrett to me, but it will be very useful tool!

BTW from the picture it looks like there are a couple of chipped carbides on that blade, but one of the teeth is missing entirely! Must have been dropped or hit something pretty hard.... I'm not sure I would trust it.

Last edited:

Dullblade

New User
Roger Hunter
Man I wish I had those other gadgets with it. Actually I do have the square on another rule I have. I do not see any marks other than made in USA. Thanks for the great pic and confirmation of what the heck it was.:lol:

Andrew A

Andrew A
User
DB...as far as reconditioning, Rarebear's page as suggested is the go to page for Stanley bench plane reconditioning...If'n you want to start out "on the cheap"..you may want to try cleaning up the metal parts first with a light touch with sandpaper and a wire brush either by hand, on a drill or a grinder...remember easy does it...this is used to get the rust and gunk off. If you have a Dremel tool that can help as well..[Note: do not use any wire brush on the black inner surface...the japanning ...this will clean up with soap and water then wax the surface]

After that get some sandpaper, a flat surface and some 3M spray mount adhesive (for the paper). Start with 220G and move up with 320G, 400G and 600G and flaten the sole (plane's bottom surface). You can also these grits on the sides. Follow Rarebear's site for blade sharpening and chipbreaker conditioning.

Things that make or break a decent plane restoration are reasonble sole flattening (lotsa work), blade sharpening and the fit between the blade and the chipbreaker.

I have had good success just using sandpaper (various grits) and a good flat surface to rehab several planes...all the other equipment just makes the process quicker but not nessessarily better...good luck!

I also like what Walt Q does with his planes.

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=handtools&Number=1972857&Forum=,,All_Forums,,&Words=&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Main=1971653&Search=true&where=&Name=25687&daterange=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post1972857

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS