wxing new Shellac finish

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read a couple articles that the writer used the finest steel wool to apply the final wax to a project. I was wondering if anyone has tried that approach.

I know steel wool leaves some small particles and that would create problems when buffing?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I have read a couple articles that the writer used the finest steel wool to apply the final wax to a project.

Cite the articles for our understanding of what the writer was doing and why he used steel wool instead of a synthetic pad. Steel wool: I think 0000 is as fine as it gets and Liberon is good stuff.

I know steel wool leaves some small particles and that would create problems when buffing?

What problems?

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
For the initial waxing on clean work, I feel that a waxing sponge and lint free cloths are sufficient. But on an older piece that's been neglected, I will apply the wax with 0000 Liberon and buff out with cloth. Some tops/sides/fronts get buffed out under power.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I used to use 0000 wool in the past because that was what I also read. I have since changed my final finishing method to wet sanding at 2000grit then paste wax diluted / lubed with mineral spirits applied with a cloth...I have gotten finishes that are smooth as silk with this method...far superior to what I was able to accomplish in the past.

if this picture doesn't say "smooth finish" I don't know what does:

image.jpg

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I have read a couple articles that the writer used the finest steel wool to apply the final wax to a project. I was wondering if anyone has tried that approach.

Larry
I wouldn't worry too much about the steel wool leaving small pieces of wire. If you were using it to prep the bare wood I might be careful but polishing a finish would not be the time to worry too much. I might add that some of the commercial 0000 wool you buy at the hardware store is coated with some type of oil or rust inhibitor that can play games on you at certain stages. I use the stuff but when I am in the polishing finish stage, I use the rolls of fine steel wool with no oil.

Using wax as a final step has always made me wonder? Why? Is the polish(lacquer, shellac, varnish) not shinny enough? Wax really doesn't do much more than make the surface slippery. Just about all of my paste wax gets used on drawer sides and runners when I'm not using on my handplane soles.

Good luck

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I agree with Dan. Wax just makes finely finished furniture capture dust.

I have to disagree. Perhaps it depends on the type of wax but nothing I have ever waxed collects or holds any more dust than adjacent surfaces or magazines kept on top of the waxed table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS