WWwwhhiirr ... wwhhiirr ... w ... bzzzzzz

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimThomasson

New User
Jim
Yesterday, I was using my Delta Shopmaster bench drillpress ..... running fine ..... then it just slowed down.... stop ... and the motor just buzzes. Nothing is jammed .... arbor and all moving parts spin freely without resistance. If I leave it off for a while and come back .... it starts up fine for about 3 seconds it stops.

Any electrical engineers out there? Help, quick, medic!!!!

M

McRabbet

I'm not an EE, but do NOT run it again -- I strongly suspect you've got brushes that are on the verge of failure and they will tear the motor armature all to H E double hockey sticks if they break loose. Take it to an authorized repair center if you've got one in Durham or Raleigh. Sorry to say this, but Shopmaster is the very bottom end of the Delta line and they don't have very good quality.

Rob

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
IIRC, used to be a Delta Service Center on Atlantic Ave in Raleigh. I believe it was called Specialty tool.

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
I'm not an EE, but I was in electronics in another life before I retired. I doubt that your motor has brushes. It's been a long time since they made motors with brushes for power tools.
It sounds to me from what you have told us, that you have an intermittent open winding in the armature that opens as it warms up and closes or 'makes' when it cools down.
Not really much you can do to fix it unless the open wire is where you can see it. It probably is inside the armature where you can't see it. Only thing to do then is get a new armature or new motor. Harbor frieght has a good selection on their website.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
JimThomasson said:
Not in warranty and not work spending money on. So ........
Anyone got a drill press for sale?

Jim,

I have a Benchtop Craftsman that I am not using. I upgraded to a VS 16" Delta about a year ago and it is sitting in my storage area hear at the house. I believe it is a 10 or 12", (not sure though). If you are interested I will take some photos and email them to you.

MIke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS